Chapter 22

The sign read 'Jemima's Jumble' and the window was packed with oddities and trinkets. Inside was a warren of small rooms, each with a theme. The monarchy, flowers, animals, sports, transportation, and more. At the jingle of the bell as they entered, a rotund woman with grey hair and glasses at the tip of her nose came bustling out from one of the back rooms.

"Tommy my dear boy, it's been an age. Come give us a kiss." He smiled at Lexi over the woman's head as she enveloped him. "And who's this you've brought along?"

"Jemima, this is Lexi, who is a Jumble neophyte. Lexi, this is Jemima, purveyor of small and marvelous things."

Lexi shook the woman's hand. It was soft and dimpled and cool. "It's very nice to meet you, Jemima. This is a remarkable shop. Tom, we may be here longer than we were in B.B.Boom!"

"You're American, how lovely. And how long will you be in London?"

"I moved in July and I have a feeling I might never go back."

"And did you say you'd been at B.B.Boom?" Her eyebrows lifted as she tried to discern a bump beneath Lexi's coat, then looked at Tom.

He answered. "Yes, Lexi is expecting. And no, I will not be the one handing out cigars. Lexi and I met recently... though her work."

"Are you an actress, my dear?"

"I'm a singer. A background vocalist for the band Ready to Run until last week."

"The boys that nasty Nigel Tavish brought on Vox Britannia? Oh, such darling young men. But... my word! You're the girl in the red dress from that music video!"

Tom was smiling as the shopkeeper connected the dots. "She most certainly is. Now Jemima, if you come over here I'll play you a recording of Lexi singing, and she can go explore."

Lexi made her way into the Monarchy room as Tom played Lexi's open mike performance followed by her solo from the concert. As she perused everything royal, she wondered where he'd gotten such good quality recordings.

He found her in the animal room, examining a small china basket inside of which were four tiny china kittens. "Look at this, Tom. It's the sweetest thing I've ever seen. I miss having a cat. My parents' cat pretty much wasted away after they died. He was old, and I had to have him put to sleep when he stopped eating. This orange baby reminds me of him."

"What was his name?"

"Calvin. He was a good boy. Oh, and look at this handsome fellow!" She took a life size stuffed ginger cat from the shelf. "I think he needs to come home with me. The babies in the basket as well. I can see why this is your favorite shop in the street, but I can't guess which is your favorite room. Show me?"

Taking her hand, he led her into the room farthest from the front door, the music room. Bins and bins of vinyl, racks of cassettes, concert posters, figurines of famous artists, even a fishbowl of interesting guitar picks.

"This is amazing! I need to invest in a record player and build a library. Are you musical? Do you sing or play?"

"Not at all. I've had to fake it and use hand doubles in several roles. I am an appreciator, not a creator. I prefer listening to music on vinyl; I think the crackles and imperfections make it more human and relatable. I'm in awe of creators like yourself. Jemima's very hip grandson scours jumble sales and estate sales. This is one of the best curated and completely unknown collections in the city."

"I could stay here for hours, but... I'm afraid I need the loo. Tea and baby. Shall we go back to the coffee shop?"

"Of course not, I'm sure Jemima won't mind."