Chapter 40

Ewan told Lexi that Jack had ridden the underground for several hours after leaving the hospital, coming down off the high, and arrived home to find the boys waiting anxiously in his flat. While they couldn't convince him to get help, he promised to be more careful in the future. When sober, he understood that his behavior was a liability to the band, unfortunately he wasn't sober for long.

*****

Lexi sent Teddy, Mairead, and Rory home before she came herself. Teddy would spend some time with Mary and Dan, and hopefully a sober Jack would join them, while Mairead and Rory took two weeks' vacation.

Tom had called her as soon as he saw the coverage of the argument; she told him about Jack's video call and the hospital incident. He invited her to spend a few days in New York on her way home.

They had seen each other now and then since he moved to the US, at awards ceremonies or other events, but they hadn't been able to talk privately in person. He had dated here and there, not seriously, telling Lexi that he thought he might just embrace the title of 'confirmed bachelor.'

He was waiting at the door of his apartment when she stepped off the elevator.

"Come here, darling," he opened his arms, and she buried her head in his shoulder as he held her tight. Without words, they walked to the sofa and sat as Lexi cried while Tom stroked her hair and kissed her forehead. The moment was broken as the doorman arrived with Lexi's luggage; when the man had gone Tom stood before her and asked where she would like him to put the bags. Lexi's soft smile was all the answer he needed.

That night they talked until nearly dawn. Lexi let loose her fears and her pain and her confusion. Tom gave his opinion now and then, but mostly just held her and listened. When she had cried herself to sleep just before dawn, he remained awake, wondering what he could do to help the much beloved woman by his side.

Tom was working, and they took an early morning run in the park before heading to the location of that day's shoot. As a surprise, he had arranged for Lexi to have a small speaking part in the episode. She enjoyed the bustle of hair, makeup, and wardrobe, as well as the new experience of acting, not singing, in front of a camera. Watching him work was fascinating, but she was thankful that he had the next two days off so that they could spend the time together.

That night they sat on Tom's terrace overlooking the river in the crisp autumn air, talking about the success of his show, the differences between living in London and New York and LA, her recent decision not to tour after the album's upcoming release in December. While on the subject of music, Tom excused himself for a moment, and returned with a small speaker and began to play a tune from his phone.

"Do you remember? We danced to this on New Year's Eve with John and Scott."

"Of course I remember, silly. It was magical. That was the night you found out about Jack. You were so kind..."

"We couldn't dance very close that night, because of Teddy, but tonight we could." He extended his hand toward her. "May I have this dance, Miss West?"

They waltzed for a moment, but soon found themselves pressed tight against one another, swaying in the half light of the New York City night. Lexi hadn't felt so safe and loved since Tom left, a year and a half earlier. She tilted her face up to him to see him looking tenderly at her. She spoke softly over the final strains of music.

"I still love you, Tom. I never stopped loving you. But Jack..." She leaned her face into the angle of his neck and shoulder.

"I know, darling. I love you more than anyone I've ever known, and I know you love me. But you'll never be mine as long as Jack has your heart. I'm thankful for the time we've had together, whatever time we might have now or in the future. And I'll always be here for you." He kissed her on the top of her head before lifting her chin with a knuckle and bending to kiss her mouth.