Chapter 19

The models all stared as she came out of the lodge in her red sweater dress, bump front and center. It really wasn't that big, she thought, but on her small frame she supposed it was obvious. It was the first time the boys had really seen how she'd grown, and they gathered around her, asking to touch her belly. Actually enjoying the sensation, she was happy to say yes. Ewan reached out quickly, placing his palm over the bump and moving it slightly from side to side.

"Can the baby feel that?"

"No, not yet."

Fyn was next, leaning down to say hello as he ran his fingers up and down.

"That tickles, and tickling a pregnant woman is dangerous." He looked at her, questioning. "We pee." he pulled his hand away and backed off. She laughed.

Lukas stayed back, looking very uncertain. "Not ready?" she asked him.

"Will I feel it move? I don't think I want to feel it move."

"That won't be for a while yet. You're safe. Ask the boys." They assured him they hadn't felt the baby move, so he came close and touched her so lightly she barely felt it. "Here, let me show you what feels comfortable for me." She laid her hand on his and pressed gently, then moved it in a slow circle. "What do you think?"

"It feels a bit like you've had too much Christmas dinner. It's hard, isn't it?"

"It is." He stepped away, looking at his hand in awe. "Jack, your turn, if you'd like."

He looked up and smiled. "Sure. Will you show me like you showed Lukas?"

All five of them smiled at the ruse, and she had to take his hand away before he'd kept it there too long. She wondered if the girls would come over and join them, but they seemed deep in a conversation centered around Astrid, who seemed full of giggles. Lexi hated her for a moment and then moved on.

At sunset they filmed what would be the closing scene of the video, the boys and girls walking away down the shore, Lexi in her red dress at the center of the group, an echo of the scenes shot on the beach in Florida, as well as in the park in London.

After the sunset shots, Lexi changed into her favorite outfit, jeans and the bulky cashmere sweater. Cozy and comfortable, she almost fell asleep as they roasted marshmallows around the campfire. The wood had been chosen to make lots of flying sparks, and the effect was beautiful. While Lexi didn't sit next to Jack, neither did Astrid. He looked comfortable and cheerful between Elspeth and Ami.

*****

The boys would be waking before dawn the next day to film the singing shots in the soft, cool light and mist, and Jack used this as an excuse to retire early. Fyn followed him to the lodge. Ewan and Elspeth had moved slightly apart from the group, but with no romantic intentions, it seemed. Ami and Lukas drifted off, hand in hand, leaving Lexi and Astrid, who came to sit by her.

"You know the band quite well, I'd imagine?"

"I do. We've been working very closely for months now."

"How closely?"

"We see each other nearly every day, and I suppose I'm a bit like their older sister."

"They confide in you?"

"Sometimes. Why?"

"Did Jack tell you what happened last night? With us?"

"He didn't mention anything in particular." You can do this Lexi, she thought, just keep a cool head, no matter what she says.

"We..."

"Yes?"

"We had each other. Off in the woods. It was amazing."