Chapter 25

The next day Rory drove Lexi and Jack to Devon before taking his three days' break. It began to snow as they drove west out of the city, and by the time they entered the village there was a dusting of white all around. Mary and Daniel were waiting at the door.

"Bloody hell, Lexi, look at you!" was the greeting she received from the recently turned thirteen-year-old boy.

"Daniel Ripley!" his mother hissed as she lightly smacked the back of his head, "shaming me with that mouth, and so rude..."

Lexi smiled at the young man, "This is nothing. Wait another two months and you'll really be amazed." As Jack greeted his brother with a hug that turned to a wrestle, she embraced Mary. "Thank you for having me. It means so much to be with... family."

Jack and Lexi settled in before helping Mary in the kitchen as she prepared dinner. They ate on trays in the salon, where a happy fire burned in the small fireplace, and Daniel regaled them with tales of his antics at school.

After the pudding Jack received several texts in quick succession. "Lexi, Sadie's down at the pub, wondering if we'd like to join her and the others for a pint."

"Do you remember what happened the last time we did that? I vomited on the way home and woke up pregnant. Do we really want to risk seeing what might happen this time?"

"You're already pregnant and you won't be drinking any beer. I'd like to go see who's around, with you, but if you'd rather stay here, I understand."

"No, I'll go. A little walk in the snowy night would be nice."

They bundled up and headed into the village.

"Wait, Jack, stop."

They stood in the falling snow, under a streetlamp.

"It just occurred to me - is this a good idea? Us being together in public? Aren't people going to think...?"

"Lexi, you know all four of us have been suggested as the baby's father. You're here because you're fond of my mum and she of you and you're my dear friend who doesn't have a family and it's Christmas. If anyone asks, your answer is the same as ever."

She nodded as they both said, "Anonymous," and continued on to the pub.

*****

Of course Emily was there, as well as the others Lexi had met in September, along with a few new faces. Sadie came right over and gave her a hug. "We were all watching the telly here after the concert, when your picture was put up on the news and there was that bump. What a surprise! Jack's told me about Mary looking out for you; she's such a lovely lady. I'm glad you've got a family for the holiday. Now, let's go see what Lewis has behind the bar that's baby friendly."

Lexi caught Jack's thankful smile as his friend took charge of her comfort. There were four tables pushed together that night. Emily had managed to slide into the chair next to Jack, while Sadie and her younger brother Peter, seventeen, flanked Lexi. He had been away at school at the time of their last visit.

Emily hung on Jack, taking his hand, failing to be stealthy in her selfie taking. Lexi caught glimpses of her one-sided conversation with him from time to time.

"You know I was just a foolish schoolgirl, Jacky. I never meant those things I said."

"Come down to the stream with me, tonight. It'll be so romantic in the snow, and we can keep each other warm."

"I wish you hadn't brought her along. She should stay at home in her condition."

Jack tried to enjoy the time with his other friends, and Lexi was happy down at her end of the table, until Emily's commentary crossed a hard line.