Chapter 7

As Lexi touched up her hair there was a knock on her door. She opened it to see Nigel waiting for her.

"I thought I ought to be the one to escort you this evening. I hope you're not disappointed."

"How could you think that? I'm glad it's you. Shall we go?"

"Not quite yet. How are you, dearest? My people have done their due diligence, and I know what today is."

"Oh. I see. Of course I'm sad, but I'm glad I'm here. And not just because of you and the boys. I think they would have been happy that I came. So, I suppose the answer to your question is that I'm actually quite well."

He nodded, gave her his arm, and they left the bungalow.

As they walked slowly toward the clubhouse, Nigel spoke. "I'm having a soiree for the boys on Friday night, before they leave. Black tie. You leave Saturday, correct?"

Lexi nodded.

"You'll need to be there as well. There'll be some big names, dearest, but I know you'll do just fine. It's so simple with you; all I need to say is be yourself."

"What should I wear?"

"Go shopping tomorrow. Emma can take you into Miami. She's a whiz with wardrobe. Well, with other people's wardrobes. Ha ha ha. I'll talk to her tonight. Here we are."

They entered the dining room and a hush fell, only breaking as they reached their table. Jack pulled out the chair between his own and Nigel's, kissing her softly, chastely, on the cheek as she sat down. She wondered if the shiver she felt was visible to the others.

No one mentioned her contract during dinner, only her mad jet ski skills and kindness to Ewan in his time of distress. They discussed their plans for the remaining time at the club. The boys would be at Nigel's the next day, in the studio, while Lexi and Emma did their shopping. Their last day would be for relaxing, until Nigel's party.

As the group was finishing dessert, the waitstaff appeared with four bottles of Cristal. No one batted an eye as all four boys were served. Evidently the management was willing to look the other way when Nigel Tavish was involved.

When everyone had been served, Nigel stood.

"Lexi West, your talent is extraordinary, your heart is warm, your mind is quick, and your beauty is breathtaking."

Lexi looked intently at the napkin in her lap. She had never been the subject of a toast.

Nigel continued, "I'm infinitely grateful that you chose to join us. The adventure is just beginning. To you, Alexis Rose West."

"To Lexi!" echoed around the table.

"Now, dearest, I want to tell you something that everyone else at this table learned earlier this evening."

Lexi's brows furrowed. "What's that?"

"It's that you have a job to begin right away. A job that I think you'll enjoy, and that will provide you with excellent exposure before your own album is recorded and released."

He paused.

"Well?" Lexi was losing patience.

"You're going to be the boys' background vocalist. On some of the album tracks, for live promotional performances, possibly even part of the first tour. And you are going to feature in the music videos we have planned, so that your face will already be recognized when you emerge as a solo artist. You're going to ride the boys' coattails into the spotlight and then once their album is out, you'll move right on to recording your own. A smooth progression. What do you think?"

She looked at the faces around her, concerned. "Are you guys really ok with this? You're a boy band, and I'm definitely not a boy. Isn't this weird?"

"Most bands, boy or otherwise, have regular background vocalists," Nigel explained. "We hadn't found one for the boys yet. It was their idea, Lexi, and I agreed that it would be good for us and for you."

"Can I have a tambourine with some sparkly scarves?"

"Um... well..."

"I'm kidding! I think it sounds good. Very good. Think of how much I can learn working with you. And you seriously want me to be in a video? A few videos? Wow. May I say something?"

The whole table nodded and Lexi, staying seated, began.

"All day I've been distracted. By Nigel, by the boat, by this dinner. And I was happy for the distraction. I didn't want to say anything and ruin the day, but now it seems important that I do.

"A year ago today my parents died, on their way here, to this club, the guests of a family friend celebrating their 50th birthday. I came here this week to have the vacation they didn't. To try and find some happiness and peace. I came here with no plans. I came here with no family. I don't know how it's possible, but in three days I think I've found both. You all just welcomed me in. Even before you heard my voice you made me feel welcome. So, thank you. Thank you for making this day not only bearable, but one to celebrate."

They sat in silence for a few moments, Jack holding Lexi's hand under the table, Nigel patting the other for all to see. The spell was broken when a newly arrived teenage guest to the club saw them across the room and squealed.

"Back to the grind," Lexi said with a grin.

*****

As the group dispersed after dessert, Jack asked Lexi if she would like to take a walk down the beach. She was happy to lose the heels and walk along the waterline. She talked about her parents and how happy they would have been to see her making this incredible change. He let her go on, asking a question now and then, or kissing her.

They were close to the boys' villa when it began to rain but, being a bit tipsy and punch drunk after their long day, they chose to run for her bungalow at the far end of the beach. When they came up from the sand onto her veranda they were soaked through. Standing in the dark, laughing, they stripped naked, hanging their wet clothes over the table and chairs.

Jack caught Lexi's hand in his and pulled her to him, kissing her, unpinning her hair, wrapping it loosely around his fist and pulling her head gently back. He trailed kisses from behind her ear to her collarbone. Her sighs were lost in the drumming rain.

"Lexi, I want you. Please."

"Yes. Now." He kept her pressed to the wall, his hands supporting her thighs, as they came together. Lexi was lost, she could no longer think or act, only feel, until they both cried out in the night.

As the rain continued to fall around them, their breathing slowed. Gently, Jack slid her to the ground, and they stood in one another's arms.

She was the first to speak. "Jack? Let's go for a swim in the rain."

They waded in, now splashing each other, now standing entangled in the rising waves, until approaching lighting and thunder sent them running for the bungalow.