Part Seven, Chapter 38

She rented a house in the hills above Malibu, with a big yard and fantastic view of the ocean, and she and Teddy, along with Mairead and Rory, moved in April. She still hated LA, but she liked the house and Teddy loved what he called the playground – their yard and pool.

Jack made the tabloids when he became belligerent at the VMAs after party that August. Lexi, glad that she had chosen not to attend, was very worried about Jack, as were the boys. He was working, and the new material was good, they said, maybe their best yet. However, Jack was occasionally hungover when he arrived at the studio, or maybe still high, and in general neglecting his other obligations. Louise and her party set had completely consumed him.

*****

While out for a rare night clubbing with Khadi, who was staying with her while in California for a job, Lexi met Nick Killian. Nick was a thirty-year-old actor who had had huge success at eighteen in a teen horror movie and its sequel. His instant rise to fame had led him down the path of excess and he was in rehab by twenty-two. After several years out of the game he returned, clean, with another hit, a surfing thriller, and was now a respected actor.

Lexi noticed him from across the club, recognizing him immediately. While nearly a foot taller than she, and with the physique of an Adonis, his most striking feature was his hair. It was sun-streaked blonde and fell to his broad shoulders.

She excused herself from the table to go order a drink from the bar, where he stood talking to another man. She thought he was Nick's co-star from the horror films. Khadi shook her head when she noticed that Lexi had left behind a full glass on their table.

Standing next to him, Lexi felt tiny and wasn't sure he had noticed her, so she bumped into him. Looking down at her, he smiled, one eyebrow raised.

"Lexi West! The woman who made pregnant sexy. Nick Killian, and this is Craig Miller." She shook both men's hands.

"It's a pleasure." She smiled up at Nick. "I recognized you from across the room. You're hard to miss. I'm looking forward to seeing you in the next Bond film, but I must say you don't look like a maniacal uber villain in person."

"I'm not. Craig will vouch for me." His friend gave a thumbs up.

Lexi went up on her toes to false whisper near his ear, "I recorded the theme song, but don't tell anyone. They want it to be a surprise."

"Seriously? That's fantastic. Will you sing it for me?" He said it in a cajoling tone, actually batting his deep golden lashes.

Lexi wasn't falling for it. "Absolutely not. You can hear it at the premiere, like everyone else."

Craig looked from Lexi to Nick and back again. "I like you. You're no pushover. Have at him." He left to join a table of friends.

Nick indicated that she should take the vacant seat beside him before asking, "How long are you in LA?"

"We got here in April and we're planning to stay through September."

"We?" He looked disappointed.

"Myself, my son, his nanny and my assistant. I'm working on album number three."

"Any plans for another satin sheet sort of video?"

"You liked that, did you?" He nodded. "We're not quite at that point in the process yet, but I'll take in under consideration."

Lexi invited him back to her table and introduced him to Khadi, who had just received a message from Mairead that Lola was ill after getting in the freezer and eating too much ice cream and was crying for her mother. She was going to call a car and go home, if Lexi didn't mind.