Chapter 27

They heard the crowd as soon as they left their room. The house was teeming with guests, no part more so than the conservatory. John held court, greeting guests and directing staff, while Scott chatted quietly with friends.

Tom knew nearly everyone there. Lexi, who had been sure she wouldn't know anyone, was pleased to see a number of familiar faces. Tom was often at her side, but not always, and as the night wore on, she felt more and more at ease.

At dinner she sat between Tom and an aging American actor whom she recognized from a long running television show. He was charming, and they compared notes on being Americans in England. On Tom's other side was a striking actress from the London musical stage, introduced as Fiona Fairfax, whom Lexi didn't recognize. She might have been in her fifties or sixties, and was very interested in Tom.

After the meal, the guests meandered back to the conservatory for digestifs before the dancing began. While they were there, John approached Lexi and asked if she would join him at the piano for a song or two. Finding herself eager to oblige, she sang Ready to Run's Keep Me Warm before John joined her for a cheerful duet from last year's top Broadway musical.

He played very well, and it was a pleasure to sing with his accompaniment. The ballad received universal applause, except maybe from Fiona, and the duet left everyone smiling. Soon it was time to move to the ballroom. Not seeing Tom, Lexi allowed herself to be swept along with the crowd.

From the DJ there was a strangely enjoyable mix of current pop music, favorite oldies, and the occasional waltz. She was very glad for the three years of ballroom dancing lessons her parents had insisted on as her neighbor from dinner took her to the floor for the Blue Danube waltz.

Tom found her a short while later as she rested at a small table along the wall.

"I'm very sorry, Lexi, I didn't mean to leave you in the lurch. I was... waylaid."

"Fiona?"

"Fiona."

"She's left a little something on your ear." Lexi took a napkin from the table and gently wiped away the blood red lipstick.

"Bloody hell. I had to take her by the shoulders and remove her from my face. She seems to have finally understood the words 'no thank you' and moved on. Ah, I see her over there with Gregory. Well, as he's not the most discerning man, maybe she'll have more luck with him. I saw you dancing with Joseph. You're a lovely dancer."

"Thank you. Do you waltz?"

"It's a prerequisite for an English actor. I'm quite good, actually."

"If they'll play my favorite tune, will you do me the honor, Mr. Langford?"

"With pleasure."

Lexi visited the DJ and made her request. It was rather childish, but it had been one of her favorite pieces of music for as long as she could remember.

They sat at the table until the first strains of her music played, and she held out her hand to Tom. He smiled broadly as he recognized the tune, and they made their way to the dance floor.

Lexi felt like she was in a fairy tale as they spun to the Sleeping Beauty waltz. She sang the words from the film as they danced, her belly pressing gently against her partner. John had said it would be a magical night, and he was right. As the song ended, Tom led her back to the table where she sat, slightly breathless and completely radiant.

Reaching across the table, she took his hand as she exclaimed, "Tom, that was wonderful. I was dancing my favorite waltz with a gorgeous movie star in what might as well be a palace. I'm giddy!" She brought his fingers to her mouth and kissed them.

"Giddy suits you. Your voice is truly exquisite; what an honor to have heard it in such a personal setting. And thank you for the compliment. While I do hear handsome from time to time, gorgeous is a rarity. Now, I've just noticed that we're less than ten minutes from the new year, and there will be fireworks in the garden at midnight. Shall we go out now?"

*****

The great terrace was filling with guests, but Tom found them a bench on the grass just beyond the wall, out of sight from the crowd. Lexi sat sideways and put her feet up while Tom went to find them champagne.

Upon his quick return, he lifted her calves and slid onto the seat, setting them down on his lap. He handed Lexi a champagne flute, stopped suddenly, and pulled it back. "You're not meant to have alcohol, are you? Would you like me to go find you something else?"

She took the glass from him. "One glass of champagne on New Year's Eve won't do any harm, and I'm saying that both as a medical professional and a woman who'd like to toast in the new year with the good stuff."

When they heard someone on the terrace above them say that it was two minutes and counting, Lexi stood. "I'd also like to see in the new year standing on my own two feet. It is a bit chilly, though. Could I borrow an arm around my shoulders?"

Tom obliged and they stood in the shadows, listening to a hundred voices count down: "... eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one - Happy New Year!"

"Happy New Year, Tom."

"Happy New Year, Lexi."

Without thought, they leaned in and pressed their lips together softly, then more firmly, opening their mouths slightly. As the tips of their tongues brushed, they both moved back, sipping from their flutes awkwardly as the fireworks began to sizzle and explode overhead.

*****

The dancing went on after the fireworks, but Lexi was tired and told Tom she needed to go to bed. He walked her to the room in silence and assured her he'd be quiet when he came back, which wouldn't be much later. She remembered to have him unzip her dress before he left, and said goodnight.

She called Jack as soon as she was settled in bed. He was in Chicago with a night off and answered right away. "Happy New Year, Sweetheart. Is it a good one so far?"

"I've had half a glass of champagne and watched a fireworks display, so yes I suppose it is a good one."

"What's the party like?" She had told him her plans and although he was still unsure of Tom, he was happy that she wasn't alone for the holiday.

"It's amazing. We're in the house from that new movie about the heiress and the prince in disguise, and it's like a palace. My room is all cream and gold and blue, the bathroom's bigger than my bedroom at home, and there's a conservatory and John and I sang a duet for everyone. He's a piece of work. I even danced two waltzes." She had to stop for a breath.

"I'm so glad you're having a good night. I wish I had seen you waltz. You'll have to teach me. Who did you dance with?"

"I danced once with this old American actor, Joseph... I can't remember his last name right now, and I danced with Tom. He was pretty good, but he said any English actor worth his salt had to waltz." She paused before continuing, "I wish it had been you, Jack. It hasn't even been a week and I miss you so much. I find myself spinning my ring on my finger when I'm sad, and then I think of you giving it to me in the garden under the stars and it's not so bad."

"I miss you too. More than you know. I haven't taken off my necklace since you gave it to me. I look at it and think of the coordinates and smile. But now I have to go, Sweetheart. We've got some press panel in half an hour."

The door opened and Tom came in. She pointed at the phone and held a finger in front of her lips, asking him to be quiet.

Jack had continued, "Then we've got cocktails, dinner, and some party in a penthouse. I promise I'll only kiss the boys, ok?"

"You're silly. I hope you can manage to enjoy some of the evening. Hey, I just realized, we're talking to each other from different years!"

"We'll be back in the same year soon, and in the same place not long after. I love you, Lexi."

"And I love you. Bye..."