Chapter 39

The band surprised her by attending the premiere, and the press was thrilled to see them all together for the first time in nearly two years. Jack stood, antsy and as far from Lexi as possible, as photos were taken. He and Louise disappeared as soon as the photo op was over, and Lexi didn't see them again all night.

Fyn, now living 'loud and proud' as he had once told Lexi he would, brought his footballer boyfriend to the premiere. Lexi found her heart swelling with happiness as she watched the two men, obviously very much in love.

Lukas made the rounds at the after party with two lingerie models who had made cameo appearances in the film on his arm, giving Lexi a brilliant smile and quick kiss on the cheek in passing. She wondered if he would ever change.

Ewan, after a late growth spurt and having moved from peroxide blonde to golden brown hair, was now a bona fide chick magnet. "Now tell me, do I still seem too young, like one of your students?" he asked Lexi with a devilish grin, as they stood in a quiet corner, catching up.

"Not in the least. You've changed the most of all of us, I think. Well..." As her eyes moved to the floor and her voice trailed off, Ewan took her hand.

"Lexi, we're trying. He won't listen. He doesn't care. He's managing to get the work done, somehow, but I don't know how long it can go on like this. We are trying, please know that."

*****

Lexi had been back in Los Angeles for two weeks when Jack and Louise's breakup was in every tabloid and on every entertainment news show. It had been very public. They had both been under the influence, and the police were involved. Lexi was thankful that there had been no physical violence or arrests, but she was brokenhearted by Jack's downward spiral.

As the initial shock of the highly publicized scene faded, Lexi remained preoccupied with Jack's condition. One night, over a quiet dinner at Nick's house, she brought it up.

"Do you think it would help if I moved back to London? Now? It would delay the album, but I could make arrangements to finish recording there. Maybe if he could see Teddy?"

She jumped as Nick hit the tabletop with the flat of his palm. "Damnit, Lexi, how many times and ways can I say the same thing?" He stood, then began to pace.

"You're only torturing yourself, and not getting him any closer to well. When was the last time he answered a voicemail or a text or an email? Mary and Daniel don't hear from him either, and they're sad, but they're not obsessed. The guys have told you that they're doing what they can, with no success, but they keep working and moving forward. You have got to let him go."

"I don't know how! He's the father of my child. I love him. I promised him I'd wait..."

Nick shook his head as he sat down next to her, taking her hand. "I know, honey, but some promises just can't be kept."

*****

As her album neared completion, Lexi began thinking about her return to London. She and Nick wanted to try and continue seeing one another; their relationship was comfortable and fun, and they wanted it to continue. The press still loved them as well, which benefitted them both.

She was at home with Teddy, Mairead having the day off, two weeks before their departure when she received a text from Jack. 'Vid 5' was the entirety of it, but Lexi understood and took the little boy inside, telling him excitedly that Daddy was going to call. His face lit up as he bounced up and down, running to the family room where he often spoke to his Gran and Uncle Dan on the television screen.

The wait was closer to ten minutes, and Lexi had in the meantime realized that it was after midnight in London. She began to worry, and with reason. When the call came in and Jack's face appeared on the screen, she knew he was high.