Chapter 36

The day before the VMAs Jack came through the service entrance to Lexi's hotel and visited Teddy while Tom went out to have lunch with a friend. He was sulky, complaining about another man being seen carrying his son, until Lexi reminded him that it might be a little less difficult than watching video of him and CC making out on a topless beach in St. Tropez. He had to agree.

He spent time on the floor with Teddy, playing peek-a-boo, helping him sit up, handing him toys that the little boy shook or threw or chewed on. He fed him lunch and put him down for a nap. Once the baby was asleep, Jack and Lexi sat quietly together on the sofa.

"We're competing for two awards, you know" Jack finally spoke, "best video and best new artist."

"I know. It's strange, isn't it?"

"If we win best pop video for Gotta Find You, we want you to come onstage with us. Will you?"

"Of course. You'll be there with CC?"

"Yup." There was a long pause before he continued, in a completely defeated tone. "I hate the bloody bitch, Lexi. I hate her but I keep playing the part, in public and in private. I... I'm so ashamed that I keep fucking her. It's meaningless, like a job I have to do; I don't understand how I can even do it." He hung his head in his hands.

"Your body responds and your mind disconnects, I guess." Lexi put an arm around his shoulders. "Why don't you end it? Nigel has to be satisfied with it by now. End it and find someone you can respect, someone you enjoy being with. It can work, Jack."

"Like you and Tom, right? Ewan and Tessa are the same, you know. They're happy with what they have, but both of them know it's not forever. She's a sweetheart. Maybe you'll meet her at an after party. It's going to be hard being near you when you're with him, and I'm with CC."

"It'll be hard for me too. I have a lot of guilt; because you'll be watching him with me, and because he'll know I want to be with you. He's very kind and understanding, Jack. He understands that I love you, that I'm in love with you."

"I guess that helps. I have to warn you that CC might be unpleasant tomorrow night. To you. She won't give us away, though. She'll find some other reason. Who are you wearing?"

"Thomas Saveng. He agreed to break his maternity mold and made me a stunner. Edgy without being trashy. He's really good and business has picked up since I wore him three times in two months. He did this one for free."

"I can't wait to see it." He slid closer, leaning his head on her shoulder and running his fingers through her hair. "I've missed this so much. The next time we're both home I want to spend the night with you."

Lexi sighed and thought for a moment. "I don't know. I'm a monogamous person, Jack. I'd like to spend a night with you, all the nights, but I think it's best if we do this one hundred percent. I do have to think of Tom. Even though it's not like yours and mine, it's still a relationship."

Jack pulled back and sat up, sighing. "I respect that. But before I leave I need to do this." He kissed her, hard. All the desire and frustration and love of the past months apart erupted in them, between them. Their hands roamed each other's shoulders, backs, and waists while their lips and tongues parried. Too soon, Lexi sat back, pressing a hand to his chest.

"We have to stop, this is torture, and Tom will be back soon. I love you Jack, so much, and I know we're going to come out on the other side of this even better and stronger than before. I hope you believe that too." She stood, tidying her hair and shirt. "Now go kiss our son, and I'll see you tomorrow night. Tell the boys I'm looking forward to seeing them, too."

He went into the bedroom to say a quiet goodbye to Teddy and kissed her softly at the door.

*****

Tom wore a simple tuxedo in a modern cut, wanting to blend into the background as Lexi shone in a sleeveless black satin gown, with a neckline that plunged to her waist, held together by the gold and rhinestone bar pins he had given her, the curves of her breasts visible between them. She wore borrowed jewels from Cartier; large diamond pavé earrings, and a diamond Panthère cocktail ring with sapphire eyes.