Chapter 20

On the morning of the concert, a large press conference and reception was held at Spiral records, and there weren't only reporters in attendance. Some familiar faces from the industry as well as television and film, were there to show their support and appease their curiosity.

Lexi was seated with the boys, her belly hidden beneath a slouchy cardigan. She was well prepared when the time came for her to answer a few questions.

"Lexi, is it true you won't be joining the band on the road?"

"Yes, that's true."

"What will you be doing now that you're no longer performing with the band?"

"I plan to start recording my debut album in the next few weeks."

"Are you going to be in any more videos?"

"Not until I'm making them for my own songs."

She wasn't giving them anything new or interesting, so they refocused on the boys. She was grateful to be out of the limelight. There would be enough of that when she began fielding questions on her own about what the audience would see tonight.

As they left the building, a well-dressed, sandy-haired man approached Lexi. She took in a quick breath.

"Miss West, my name is-"

"Tom Langford. I'm a fan."

Tom Langford was a good actor, known for being very versatile but never quite making the A list. Still, he had several awards to his name and was well respected. Lexi knew most of his work and enjoyed it all, especially his character Slick from the film Ghost Life; the character that had inspired Ewan's peroxide hairstyle.

"As am I, of yours. You caught my eye in the Gotta Find You video, and I've heard the amateur recordings from Florida."

Lexi, adrift for a moment in his soulful grey eyes, found herself at a loss for words.

"I... Well... Really? Thank you. It's... well it's very nice of you to have come out this morning." She wasn't sure what else to say. He was older, a seasoned celebrity, and she found herself starstruck.

He seemed to sense this. "It's very busy here, and it looks as if the band is waiting for you. I wonder if I might ask for your number. I'd very much like to have coffee sometime."

"That would be nice."

She wrote her number and email on a page from the notebook she always kept on hand and handed it back to him. They shook hands; before Lexi turned away she asked, "Are you coming tonight?"

"I wouldn't miss it for the world." His soft smile was charming.

As Lexi climbed into the car waiting at the curb all the boys were looking at her questioningly. Jack spoke first.

"Was that Tom Langford?"

"It was."

"Did he come to see you?"

"Evidently, and he's coming to the show."

"And?"

"He wants to take me for coffee."

Ewan looked envious, Fyn let out a long whistle, and Lukas made a moderately suggestive noise. Jack scowled. "I don't like it. Why would he come to the show? He's old enough to be your father."

"That's ridiculous. He can't be more than forty. I like his movies, and he was very polite. I guess it's not only teenage girls who enjoy your music."

"Hmmm..."

The subject was put to rest.

*****

Lexi rested that afternoon, ate an early dinner, and was back at the theatre by six o'clock. There was some consternation about her hair, but in the end she prevailed. It would be loose, the way she liked it, the way Jack liked it. Her outfit for the first sets, black leggings and a long white silk shirt, hid the baby well.