Chapter 26

They returned to London on Boxing Day and the boys left for the United States the day after. Lexi would see them mid-January in LA for the Grammys and then again at the end of the month when the tour wrapped.

Tom was back from Cornwall and they made plans to spend New Year's Eve together at a large country estate rented for the occasion by a fellow actor. There would be a black-tie dinner and dancing into the new year. Tom had arranged for accommodation at the mansion itself so that Lexi could rest comfortably if she tired before the night was through.

She visited Thomas Saveng, the young up-and-coming designer who was preparing her gown for the Grammys, in the week between Christmas and the New Year. He was young and cheerful, with a soft build and pin-straight black hair that stood up from his head like a brush. Five gold hoops ran up one ear, and he wore vibrant eyeshadow in yellow, red, and violet. Lexi loved him right away.

The particolored black and white dress was delicately embroidered with the words 'oui' and 'non' scattered across the fabric. Thomas said that it had been Jack's idea, playing on the mystery surrounding the baby's father. She thought it was perfect.

Although Thomas Saveng specialized in bespoke formal gowns for pregnant clients, he always kept some ready to wear items in his atelier. Looking through the racks, Lexi found a deep purple dress shot with fine gold threads, with fluttering chiffon sleeves and hem, to wear on New Year's Eve. Before leaving, Thomas also began sketching a dress for the BRIT awards, which she expected to attend with Ready to Run in the first week of February.

*****

Lexi was anxious as she waited for Tom to pick her up on the morning of the thirty first. There would be over one hundred guests at the party, and although she had met her share of celebrities over the past few months, this would be a more mature and distinguished crowd than she was used to.

Although the world in general knew that she and Tom were friends, and it had been accepted that he was not – couldn't be – the baby's father, the situation was still delicate, and she didn't know what to expect as they attended the event together.

She answered his knock, overnight bag in one hand, garment bag in the other, and Tom reached over her luggage and her belly to kiss her on both cheeks.

"Look at you! You're even more radiant than when I last saw you. Here, let me take your things." He carried them down to his car as she locked the house.

She smiled at his very serviceable Rover. "I expected something that said dashing, devil-may-care bachelor."

"I thought the other car might be a tight squeeze with your bags and your bump, but if you think we'll all fit comfortably in a 911, then by all means, we'll switch on our way past my place."

"I think you made the right decision. I'm beginning to take my creature comforts very seriously."

She buckled in and they were on their way.

Halfway through the drive she asked if they might stop for a wee.

"Oh, Miss West, you are becoming one of us – a 'wee' is it now? I like it, and yes, of course we'll stop."

She was recognized as she left the busy services. Two teenage boys and their younger sister asked for her autograph and a photo, to which she happily obliged. Unfortunately, other motorists at the stop saw her as well, and soon a small group was huddled around her. Seeing her engulfed by eager fans, Tom left the car and came to her rescue.

"Lexi? There you are! We're going to be late if we don't get back on the road, my dear."

He made his way to her side, creating a stir as well when recognized.