Chapter 16

Jack arrived after dark, jumping the fence and sliding in through the garage door. As he came up the stairs from the utility room into the kitchen, he was met with several black and white pictures, hung from a string across the room. Their baby.

He stopped in his tracks to scrutinize the images. Lexi came to his side.

"I'm not sure I can wrap my head around the fact that there's this tiny human living in me."

"Is it a boy? Is that his...?" He was grinning like a fool.

"That's the baby's arm." She rolled her eyes and shook her head. "It was too soon for them to tell the sex. We can probably find out next time... if you'd like."

"Alexis Rose, it's so obvious when you don't mean what you say. You don't want to know."

She shook her head.

Jack looked satisfied. "Good, because I don't either. I read somewhere that it makes the moment of birth even more wondrous."

"Are you reading pregnancy magazines?"

"No. Maybe. Ok, Mum sent me a few."

"That is the sweetest thing ever, but I'm worried about you. You haven't freaked out yet. Run away screaming, avoiding my calls until Phillip tells you have to answer. Something. I don't want to you be holding anything in. I don't want you to resent me."

"How could I resent you. We're partners in this. I do love you, Lexi."

"I know. And I love you. It's just that sometimes I remember you're twenty, on the verge of superstardom, in the perfect position to be out having fun. I don't want you to miss that."

"I have all the time in the world to go out and have fun. Right now I want to be focused on the band and on us." He lifted the front of her sweater and placed his hand on her belly. "To think that the little creature in those pictures is swimming around in there. Hallo!" His lips were against her skin as he began to talk.

After the pep talk he gave their baby, she had no doubts at all about Jack's feelings, and wondered what on earth she'd done in life to deserve him. He kissed her as he stood up, then scooped her in his arms and carried her upstairs.

*****

He peeled off her clothes, running his hands over every inch of skin that he bared. She pushed him away. "I've been out all day. I need a shower. Join me?"

They left a trail of clothes from her bedside to the bathroom, where Lexi adjusted the shower heads to fall like rain and stepped under them. Jack watched as she washed her hair, then joined her, pulling her close, pressing her against the wall, lifting her.

After, as they slowly, quietly, soaped and rinsed each other, Jack broke the silence. "This reminds me of the first time, in the rain on your veranda. Remember?"

"I do... the standing up was exiting. I'd never done that before."

"I had wanted to make the first time special. Roses, champagne, silk sheets..." Jack laughed before continuing, "But somehow what happened was better than any contrived event. I was so eager I don't even remember stopping to... oh, fuck."

She sucked in a sharp breath, "It was the very first time. Holy shit. I'm a school nurse turned cautionary tale. Unbelievable."

"I'm glad we've figured it out. But there's really no need to fuss now because here we are and on we'll go."

*****

Things began to change quickly after the second single was released and, even more, after the video's premiere. Not only was everything about it happy and fun, just like the song itself, but Paul had managed to create a visually masterful piece for a boy band pop song – something unheard of. It smashed all records. It was everywhere, all at once. Suddenly there was a run on pretty red dresses, and Lexi was recognized more and more often on the street. Emma decided it was time for security.