Chapter 12

George drove them to Jack's hometown, about three hours southwest of London. Lexi was enchanted by the picturesque cottages dotting the rolling countryside, the town square with its Norman church, and Jack's home.

A humble whitewashed cottage, immaculately kept, it sat back from the street behind a low stone wall. Mary must have been watching out the front window because the door was opening before the car had pulled in the drive.

She was Jack, in female form. Tall and willowy, with shiny dark hair pulled back from her face by a wide headband, she had paler blue eyes than her son but the same dusting of freckles across the nose and cheekbones.

"Jack!"

She engulfed him in a hug that nearly lifted him off the ground, kissing his cheeks and forehead the whole time.

"Oy, Mum, enough. It hasn't been that long."

"It's always that long, and you're only here for three days. That Nigel Tavish is a slave driver."

"No, he's not. This is just a really busy time for the band. And speaking of the band, let me introduce our newest well-nigh member. Mum, this is Lexi West. Lexi, this is my mum, Mary Ripley."

Lexi extended her hand, which Mary ignored, pulling her instead into a warm hug.

"Jack has told me so much about you, Lexi. In fact, you're nearly all he's talked about for the past few months. Why don't you come in? We can get to know one another once you're settled."

His room made her smile. He may have been twenty years old, but it was still the room of a teenager. Movie and music posters covered the walls, a football and cleats occupied the corner behind a giant beanbag chair, and the faded curtains covered in jungle animals had surely been there since he was a little boy. She loved it. As she watched him unpack by overturning his bag onto the soft chair, then fall back to sprawl on the bed, she knew she loved him.

Maybe it was the endearing juxtaposition of goofy kid and thoughtful man. Maybe it was the quietly wicked sense of humor and surprisingly erudite conversation. Maybe it was the way his face became so serious, his brows lowering over the bridge of his nose, just before he came. Whatever it was, she suddenly knew.

She sat next to him on the bed.

"Jack?"

"Hmm?"

"I love you."

His eyes opened wide and he sat up, his face just inches from hers. "Do you? Really?"

"I do. I just figured it out. You don't have to say it back. I just wanted you to know."

"Wow. No one's ever said that to me, except my family. And Lukas, but he was pissed at the time. It makes me feel... quite nice."

He kissed her and held her close until they heard the front door slam and a voice calling excitedly, "Jack! Jack! Where are you?"

"The heathen is home from school. Come meet Daniel."

*****

Jack's brother took to Lexi immediately. He peppered her with questions about America, about catching Jack's head (he had obviously heard the story) and about what she thought of England so far. Mary finally intervened, telling him to go play football in the garden with his brother so that the ladies could chat.

"Thank you so much for having me, Mrs. Ripley," Lexi said as the boys ran out the back door. "This is the first time I've been out of London. It's so beautiful here. Everything is green and peaceful."

"Please call me Mary." Lexi nodded. "I suppose we take it for granted, our lush little corner of the country. I'm glad you appreciate it. Jack tells me you've bought a nice house near Regent's Park. It's not Devon, but at least there's a lovely green space nearby." Her smile faded as she continued, "He also told me you lost your parents not long ago. I'm so sorry."