Part Ten, Chapter 44

Jack left a few days later for the last leg of the tour. There were daily texts or emails and video calls with Teddy as often as possible. Lexi checked in with the boys and Phillip from time to time, making sure that all was as well as it seemed. The answer was a resounding yes; he was as happy and energetic as he had been when the band formed.

Lexi bounced back and forth between London and LA during January and February for the Grammys, BAFTAs, Oscars and BRITs. She won for the Bond theme at all of them, a record sweep. She and Nick were sincerely happy to see each other when their paths crossed on the red carpet, and he was pleased to hear of Jack's progress.

The band surprised her at the Grammys, flying in from Canada to be her escorts for the night. She and Jack were able to steal a few kisses at an after party, but no more. Tom was her escort at the Oscars and BAFTAs, prompting a flurry of speculation in the press. Even Jack had enjoyed it, knowing just how wrong it was. She went on her own to the BRITs.

*****

It was late February and the tour was coming to a close. The final show was scheduled for March 10th, Jack and Teddy's birthday. It was the birthday, Jack's twenty fifth, the date at the end of Lexi's promise. She didn't know what to expect.

That she loved Jack as much, if not more, than ever, she knew. That Jack loved her like he did when she made the vow, she believed. Of course, she wouldn't hold him to the exact day. He would be working, and celebrating the final moments of Ready to Run, unbeknownst to the public. She planned to be at the concert, in a private box with Nigel and a few others attached to the band and the label.

On March first she got a text from Jack, asking if she could video call him later that day, without Teddy. He had something important to discuss with her. She said yes, of course, and was nervous all the rest of the day. Unable to eat, or concentrate, she asked Mairead to take Teddy to Khadi's for a playdate with Lola. She didn't want the little boy in the house if it was bad news.

It was a surprisingly pleasant early spring day and she took her laptop to the garden, where she sat on the edge of her seat until the call came in. Her fingers were shaking as she tapped 'accept.'

It was the band and Phillip. Jesus, she thought, what the fuck is this?

"Lexi," his wide smile boded well, and she relaxed, a bit. "Sweetheart, I've been talking to the boys for a few days now, and we've come up with a plan..." They were all smiling now, even Phillip.

Oh boy, she thought, this is going to be good.

*****

Lexi sat in the box for the first set but excused herself during the intermission and didn't return. Nigel knew where she had gone.

In the green room she changed into the very same red dress, kept for years in the back of her closet, that she had worn in the video four and a half years earlier, and had her hair and makeup done just the same. Mairead arrived with Teddy, who had visited the arena earlier that day as well as the day before, to see where Daddy worked and to talk about being at the concert. He wore a suit and had a small red noise-cancelling headset because when daddy was at work it was very loud.

As the band played the last song of the final set, Lexi took Teddy to stand just offstage; Mairead, in her own headset, came with them to help keep the boy out of trouble. Someone handed Lexi an earpiece and she felt the butterflies that came with every single performance.

The crowd was thunderous as the boys ran offstage, Jack coming to give Teddy and Lexi quick kisses to the surprise of every crewmember nearby. Lexi saw the lights begin to go on in their eyes.

When the band retook the stage for the encore, wearing replicas of their Gotta Find You video suits, the audience went insane. The boys let it go on for a minute before they all made gestures and asked the crowd to quiet down. It took some time, and when the arena was near silent Jack walked to the front and spoke.