Freshmen 10

ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʟᴀʏɪɴɢ
𝐏𝐨𝐩 𝐎𝐮𝐭 𝐛𝐲 𝐏𝐨𝐥𝐨 𝐆
ılıılıılıılıılıılı
ᴠᴏʟᴜᴍᴇ: ▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮
𝟷𝟶:𝟶𝟶 ○─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎ 𝟸𝟻:𝟶𝟶
◁︎ || ▷︎

🏀

Hampton University
Sat. Sept. 17th, 8:15pm
"Pop Out, Let's Talk"

H-Y-P-E!
Hype is what you out to be
Get hype (Get hype)
Do it! Do it!
Hype! (Get hype)
EEYEP!

Sitting in the bleachers, Dess clapped her hands and lightly stomp her feet as she did the cheer along with the others. It was the first home game of the season and everyone had popped out. The stands were filled with parents, students, the marking band and the dance team. The sight of black people coming together to enjoy a sport, music, and dance made Dess smile. What made her smile grow even bigger was the news she received earlier today.

Dess had made the cheerleading team. She saw her name on the paper when she went to the gym and couldn't keep her happiness inside. She was beyond excited to experience the HBCU cheerleading team for the first time in forever. All her hard work did pay off and she was proud of herself. Her attention averted back to the field, focusing on the game. Hampton was on the one yard line near their endzone. They were going for another touchdown. Dess didn't know much about football besides the simple things.

Touchdown. Field goal. Quarterback. Offense and defense. Everything else she was clueless on which explained why she wasn't paying much attention to the game. Soon after the ball was snapped and the team separated, she watched as the oval shaped ball was thrown through the air and into Hampton's football player. Everyone in the crowd shouted in excitement once the young man casually ran into the endzone. Dess clapped and shouted with everyone else. The band began playing, the dancers danced, the cheerleaders cheered, and the crowd yelled. Dess started doing the cheer again just when Freya showed up. She slide her way beside Dess, nudging her a little.

"Hey boo," she greeted with a huge smile.

"Hey." Dess replied, still clapping and stomping. Freya watched her friend, noticing she was copying everything the cheerleaders were doing. She was amazed.

"Uh, girl..." she began, nudging Dess arm again. Dess looked at her friend, a smile showing on her face. "Yes?"

"Yes." Dess answered quickly. Freya started shouting, scaring Dess and few other folks around them.

Dess laughed as Freya shook her shoulders, still shouting. "Girl, be quiet." Dess told her.

Once she calmed down, Freya cuffed Dess cheeks and placed a kiss on her forehead. "I'm so proud of you baby!" she shouted.

Dess chuckled, "Thank you." Freya kissed her forehead again before letting go of her face.

"I'm happy for you babe, you deserve it. In all honesty though, I would've said you made it once you walked into tryouts. It's not everyday you see a big girl tumbling, jumping, and cheering like others. You would've been my first pick on God." Dess nodded her head agreeing.

She so happened to be the only big girl that came out. She wasn't discouraged either. Cheerleading since she was a kid came in handy down here. However, that was a mindset plenty of folks in the world carried. Some thought that because she was on the bigger side that she couldn't do certain things. Boy, were they ever so wrong. She could do a round-off, back and front handspring, and many others with no issue. She enjoyed proving people wrong.