Freshmen 67

Hampton University, VirginiaFriday, 3/1"Never Knew"

Friday, 3/1
"Never Knew"

{Love Like This by Faith Evans}

The silence of the classroom was overwhelming and quite scary. Any form of movement, big or small, made Professor James turn his medium-sized head and his big ears flop. Some of the students nicknamed him Dumbo behind his back. Right now, no one was a big fan of Dumbo.

Professor James walked around the class, peering over his students shoulders to assure that they weren't cheating. One student was already caught, paper ripped up and tossed out of class. No one else wanted that to happen to them next, so they focused. Tried to at least. The musty smell of Dumbo threw students off, making them cough dramatically and cover their noses to avoid the smell.

That did nothing.

"You all have ten minutes left. Please start to wrap your answering up!" James shouted, making the student he was standing near jump in his seat.

He muttered under his breath, covering his nose with his shirt and went back to his test. He was over it. Everyone else was too. Sitting on the other side of the room, Dess did her long division on a separate sheet of paper. She was glad she learned how to do problems without a calculator at an early age. It came in handy with this test.

Once she confirmed her answer, she confidently written it on her answer sheet. She went to the next problem, her last one and read it over. She pressed the tip of her pencil on important information, unable to highlight or underline. Going back to her scrap piece of paper, she proceeded to write the numbers down as she memorized the formula. A part of her made sure she remembered each and every one in her own unique way.

"Five minutes!" James shouted again in another student ear.

He didn't care and kept moving up and down the aisles, eyeing every answer sheet. A few head shakes of disappointment seeing the wrong answers. The totally off answers. The lines still blank and even a few students doodling on the side. He was an old school professor, thoughts of smacking some of his students upside the head flooded his brain. Then he remembered this was not the 1980s or '90s anymore.

The time ticked down faster than anyone wanted. A ninety minute exam now down to the remaining three minutes. The pressure was on. It was getting real. Class was about to end in two months and a mid-term exam was already kicking their ass. Finally and terrifyingly, the buzzer on Professor James desk went off. The test was over. James instructed for his students to place their pencils down, a few of them groaning because they didn't finished.

James went around collecting the papers himself to assure he got them all. While she waited, Dess made a nice stack with her papers then put her belongings away. She wasn't all that worried like others. She smiled with confidence, knowing she got a good grade. Soon as James collected all the papers, he dismissed his class. Everyone hurried, the door to the lecture hall crowded as students rushed out. Eventually, everyone was gone.