Freshmen 54

Minneapolis, MinnesotaTuesday, 12/23"The Young Family"

Tuesday, 12/23
"The Young Family"

{Angel by Anita Baker}

The aroma of brown sugar and peppermint filled the medium sized kitchen area. Miss Anita Baker played at full volume while the slim dark skin woman shimmied her hips to the beautiful melody. That same woman delicately and passionately preparing candied yams for the hungry stomachs lingering around her home. The sounds of chitter chatter and laughter coming from the living room was the reason why she did what she did. After all, she was Grandma DeeDee.

Deborah Young, also known as DeeDee, was the grandma everyone wanted and damn sure deserved. She didn't look a day over thirty which was something since she was healthy sixty years old. She stood tall at five foot-eleven inches, an athletic build, hazel brown eyes that practically made you tell the truth when she stared at you. Honey blonde pixie cut that compliments well with her dark skin.

It wasn't only her outside appearance that made her the best, but the way the older woman carried herself and others around her. She was the neighborhood cook for young men. A wise fairy godmother for young ladies. The candy and money lady for the kids. The benevolent, charismatic, and charitable woman among her other elders. A wife who can still handle all the nasty things a couple can do and more. A mother and grandparent to some of the amazing people on this Earth. She truly was winning in life. And it was only going to get better from there.

DeeDee hummed along to the song as she placed the large pan of candies yams in the oven. At the same time she took out the baked mac n' cheese, completely finished and ready to be eaten. She placed the pan on the counter just as Dess entered, rubbing her eyes as she tired to awake from her sleep.

"Well, look who decided to wake up." DeeDee mentioned, pulling back the aluminum foil to see her cheesy masterpiece. The slightly golden brown top and edges let her know that her and her family were in for a delicious treat.

Dess slowly nodded her head as she walked like a zombie to the counter. She took a seat on the barstool, taking whiffs of the aroma of all the food her grandma was cooking. She couldn't help smile a little from the thought of putting all those goods in her empty, starving stomach.

"Open ya eyes girly." DeeDee joked. She already knew Dess was taking in the smells. DeeDee enjoyed watching the reactions of her babies when it came to her food. It always put a smile on her face.

Dess wiped her greasy face then opened her eyes. DeeDee smiled hugely when Dess brown eyes landed on her.

"Evening, love-bug."

"Evening," Dess responded in a low, raspy tone. The sound of her sleepy voice mesmerizing to the ear drums. At least to Shai's.