Freshmen 32

ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʟᴀʏɪɴɢ
𝐏𝐚𝐩𝐚 𝐖𝐚𝐬 𝐀 𝐑𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐒𝐭𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐛𝐲 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐓𝐞𝐦𝐩𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬
⇆ㅤ||◁ㅤ❚❚ㅤ▷||ㅤ↻

🏀

Hampton University
Thurs. Nov. 9th, 3:12pm
"Father Time"

"Alright, in this play we're in a 4-3 defense then change into a 3-4 once Charles backs into coverage." Pow explained as him and Shai watched the footage from the last football game.

Shai nodded his head, leaning back in the seat. Sports Management class was canceled since Coach Pow wanted to do film for the football team. Since Pow enjoyed Shai's help and his dedication in regards to coaching, he was using him to his full advantage.

"You're suppose to be defending the middle right?" Shai questioned, Pow nodding his head.

"Yes. Offense will try to come through the middle leaving Charles, Hart, and Monmouth to block him from getting through." Pow replied, pointing at the projected play. "

Shai nodded his head, "So, pretty much that middle needs to be protected at all times but the defense play you use isn't able to do so?" She asked for reassurance.

"Yup, I'm trying to figure out another way we can cover that middle completely with no slip ups." Pow said, taking a step back to look at the projector.

"You should probably stop with the 4-3 and 3-4 defense play. It doesn't seem to be working throughly. Instead you should try a 3 man." Shai told him, Pow looking back at him.

"A 3 man?" He asked with a curious and confused tone.

Shai nodded, "Yeah. I mean that's what it's called in basketball. It was a play my high school coach did." He explained. Pow was intrigued, so he motioned for him to continue.

"Keep going."

Shai moved his seat back and got up. He approached the projector to visually show Pow what he was talking about.

"Okay, so when I played basketball in high school, my coach had this special play he used when the other team offensive was tight." He began.

"Tight?" Pow asked.

"It means something that's cool but in this case it refers to something that's on point. If the offense on the other team was too good to the point where we were struggling to defend then my coach would go into this play. You have your middle man, in this case Charles, in the middle." Shai continued, pointing at the player.

"You then have what I like to call your middle buddy or M.B. who is pretty much someone behind your middle person. Sometimes the offense can run past the middle man and that's when the M.B. comes in to handle the situation. Majority of the time it works if there's communication. But, I just remembered that this is football and not basketball." Shai concluded, noticing his error in his play. He tucked in his lips, staring at the screen trying to figure out something else. Pow smiled to himself, slowly nodding his head.

"Right, okay. I like that play, so maybe I can work around it. Get some more coverage in the middle." Pow spoke, circling his finger around the middle. Shai nodded his head, agreeing what that.

"Yeah, I agree. It really should just be a straight 4 middle coverage. The more people we have blocking the middle then the less yards the runner will take. If we push in and tighten the sides then we're all pretty much on top of each other, so there's no possible way they'll be able to get through. Unless, you're Smith." Shai mentioned, using both of his hands to signal the team coming into each other.