Freshmen 41

ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʟᴀʏɪɴɢ
𝐁𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐛𝐲 𝐃𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐞𝐥 𝐂𝐚𝐞𝐬𝐚𝐫 𝐟𝐭 𝐇.𝐄.𝐑.
⇆ㅤ||◁ㅤ❚❚ㅤ▷||ㅤ↻

🏀

Hampton University
Fri. Dec. 6th, 6:15pm
"Carter's Best Part"

Shai sat on the bleachers, tucking his shoelaces into his shoes. It was the last day of tryouts which meant the last day of sore body parts and sleepless nights. For now. If he was on the team then he'll have to deal with all of this ten times more. Was he ready? Not at all, but he was going to get ready when the time came. In other words, he needed to tighten up just a little bit.

Danny Adams blew his whistle to end the game that was going on. To end off tryouts, Danny figured he test these boys ability to play. He paired every veteran with a newbie and let them play a five minute game to ten. Not only did he want to see how the newbies could go against someone already on the team, but he was looking to see how they could handle being dominated on the court. He made sure none of his vets held back with the new boys. This sport was hardcore, so they had to play as such.

"Aight, good. Next up..." Danny Adams paused to look at assistant coach Demetrius. He placed his attention on the last two names that weren't crossed off.

Humming to himself, Danny look up and in the direction of Shai. They made eye contact for a split second before Danny looked away. He knew this was about to be something.

"Alright, next up is Shai and Elijah." He finally called out the last two names.

Shai tucked in his lips, hearing his name being called with the person he hated the most on this team. He sat there wondering if this was a setup or a mistake. He was leaning more towards a setup as he thought it about more. It was too late now. He still had to go up and there was no one else to go against. Hopefully, there wasn't a part two.

"Come on!" Danny Adams snapped his fingers for them to hurry up.

Shai blew out a breath and stood to his feet. Elijah dapped up Ameer and Dustin before making his way to the middle of the court. A smirk was on his face that everyone seen. Taylor and Bo looked at each other then placed their attention on Shai who was slowly making his way to the court. They wanted to say something but decided not to. It was going to happen regardless of what they say. Shai and Elijah stood in the middle of the court, facing each other.

They both stared at one another like how boxers stared at each other during their weigh-ins. It was only a matter of time before someone says something smart and fists were being thrown.

"Alright, like the other games, we're going to keep this clean. It's only a way for me to see how Shai can handle playing. Whatever beef y'all have with each other, leave it off my court. Understand?" Danny asked the two of them.

"I'm good." Elijah was the first to answer. A smile still on his face. Danny turned to Shai, expecting a response from him as well.

"And you?"

"Let's get this over with." Shai responded, backing up. He pulled his shirt off then tossed it towards the bleachers.

One would say he was about to go crazy on the court but that's the opposite of what he was about to do. He didn't care if this simple game would determine if he'll be on the team or not. He refused to go hard for no reason. All he had to do was keep himself composed while playing a try hard. That was going to be hard.