Freshmen 63

Hampton University, VAFriday, 1/9"From The Bottom"

Friday, 1/9
"From The Bottom"

{Down Below by Roddy Ricch}

"I don't know why I'm doing this."

Shai stood behind Gavin, hands on his hips while watching Dustin and Skeeter run through the drill. He did it. He said he wouldn't, but he did anyways. He took Adams offer and came back on the team. His decision was only made because of work. Seeing the opportunity to coach kids made him happy. It also made him want to get back on the court desperately. So, here he was.

Dustin and Skeeter ran back to the two lines formed at the baseline. Skeeter passed the ball to the next two, Parker and Julian. They ran down the court, dribbling and passing the ball between each other. Shai mindlessly watched them, bored and tired of the same, ineffective drills they were doing. He watched the last basketball game and noticed that all of there already established plays were bad.

Predictable too. That's why they have thirty turnovers because the other team already knew what they were doing. Shai wanted and needed something different. Something that'll help them win the next few games left before the season was done completely. He had a few ideas but the way the team was acting, he didn't think putting his opinion out there was the right thing to do.

Adams whistle was blown which grabbed all of their attentions. He had stepped out to talk to Dean Freeman. That was close to twenty-five minutes ago.

"Gather around! We need to talk!" Adams shouted, waving his hands so everyone came.

The line broke off, meeting Adams in the middle. Everyone stood in front of him, expect for Ameer who was sitting on the bleachers. He's been there since the beginning of practice. Shai assumed he was trying to make a statement. That statement unclear to Shai and the rest of the team.

Adams dropped his whistle from his mouth then crossed his arms. He cleared his throat, getting himself together as he broke the news to the team.

"As you all may know, we had an issue about a week ago between our fellow teammates," he began, looking around at everyone.

No one said anything.

Adams continued, "With that being said, Freeman has informed me that I will no longer be coaching here once the season is over."

No one said anything. Shai stood off in the back, waiting for someone to say something. There was nothing. Adams expected that and nodded his head. He had let his team down and he was dealing with the consequences. There was nothing else left for him to do.