Freshmen 64

Hampton University, VirginiaSaturday, 1/10"Same Ball, Different Court"

Saturday, 1/10
"Same Ball, Different Court"

{Same Drugs by Chance the Rapper}

Cheering as loud as a lions roar from students. Beating of the drums, trumpets and flutes harmonizing, the ringing of cymbals. Stomping and chants in deep voices came from the cheerleaders. The area filled from top to bottom with parents, alumni, and students. He heard none of it. The only sound he was listening to was of his heartbeat.

It sounded normal and that worried him. He was about to play for the first time since school started and his heart was not properly representing the worry he was feeling at the moment. He didn't want to mess up in front of hundreds of people. He saw how his classmates spoke on the players. Some didn't even want to come to the game because they were tired of the team losing. He understood.

Now, he was here. He didn't want to sound cocky, but he had a feeling the team had a chance now that he was back. Maybe. He wasn't all the way sure. However, he was sure on one thing.

He finally playing.

The whistle was blown and the ball was thrown in the air by the referee. Dustin jumped up along with his opponent to get the ball. His hand touched it and he sent it back, landing in Ameer hands. The rest of the team ran down the court, Adams shouting out a play on the sideline. The cheerleaders cheered while everyone else yelled in support. Shai took his spot in the corner, watching Ameer slowly dribble past the half court line. He looked around, seeing all the open hands but didn't pass.

Number 43 came up to him, defending. Ameer turned his body away and continued dribbling, Number 43 still defending him. Shai moved from his corner when everyone else on his team moved. Dustin approached Ameer to help him out, but he refused to pass the ball. Shai ran underneath the basket to the other side of the court, visibly in Ameer's sight. He held his hands out for a pass and didn't receive one.

He noticed the referee beginning to sway his hand from his chest and outward. He was counting down. Ameer had to make a move before the ball was taking away from them. It didn't matter because Number 43 found his way in, smacking the ball out of Ameer hand and going for it. Both teams ran after to defend and help. Number 43 grabbed the ball and went for a layup, making it. His team dapped him up then ran off to play defense.

Shai had stopped at the half-court line, watching from a distance. Dustin threw in the ball to Ameer then ran onto the court. He asked for it back but Ameer ignored him. He ran past Shai and charged at the basket, the whistle being blown instantly. A foul was called on Number 2 giving Ameer two free shots. Both teams lined up on the free throw line, Ameer at the top as he prepared for his two shots.