Chapter 37

"Where have you been, Tatay? We are waiting for you."

Hindi ko na mapigilan ang mga hikbing kumakawala sa akin. Ang nga iyak ng kambal habang mahigpit na nakayakap sa tatay nila at ang malakas na hagulhol ni Gaston ang bumalot sa buong silid. 

" We are longing for you. We are waiting for you to come and get us, Tatay, but you never came. You never showed up. Every year we are waiting for you to come on our birthday. We are waiting that you will see us and help us blow our candle, slice our cake and eat with us. But you are not there Tatay. We want to celebrate Christmas, New year, family day, father's day, but we don't know where to find you. What happened to you, Tatay? Why did you forget us?"

It was Castor who's talking. As what he promised to his twin brother that he will ask those questions to his father, now he got his chance. While Pollux, he remained quiet. He is silently crying but I can feel the longingness he feel for his father the way he hugged him. 

"I'm sorry, Stars...I didn't know...I didn't know. I swear to God I didn't know about you. I'm so sorry if it took me this long. I-I thought, I r-really t-thought that I l-lost you and your Nanay forever. Every night, I swear to God, every night,  I am looking at the stars in my mind, hoping, that one day, we'll be united again. I can only wish , I can only hope, that's the best I can do because I thought that the brightest stars already left me.  I-I'm so sorry...I-I'm so sorry."

He looks pained, frustrated and tired.

"I've been a miserable father, Castor, Pollux. My life is a mess. I can't see anymore. I lost my eyesight, I lost my will to live. When I lost your Nanay, I lost everything. I don't know what to do with my life anymore. I am praying that I have a long night, because only in the night I get the chance to be with my stars. I'm so sorry babies. Tatay took this long to know you. But I promise, even if I didn't know that you two exist I have you here..." dinala niya ang kamay ng mga bata sa kanyang dibdib. "...I have you inside here, you and Nanay occupied the space inside this heart."

Castor stood up and face him.  "I'm sorry, Tatay we don't know..." he said crying. Maingat niyang pinunasan ang mga luha sa mukha ng tatay niya dahilan para lalo itong humagulhol. "Stop crying Tatay, we are here now. Castor, Pollux and Nanay, we are here for you Tatay. Nanay is a doctor, Lola is a doctor too, they will help you see again." tumango si Gaston sa kanya saka maingat siyang hinila palapit para halikan sa noo. Pagkatapos siyang halikan ng tatay niya si Pollux naman ang kanyang binalingan. 

"Pollux..." he called his twin. " Talk to Tatay, tell him that it's okay. We are not mad...we are not mad Pollux. " but Pollux shook his head. Castor's lips trembled more. His tears started pooling again. His eyes are begging to his twins.

"...Please Pollux, don't make it hard for Tatay. We are not mad." he sobbed and cried more. Gaston pulled him for a hug. Both of them, he let them sit on his lap. 

"It's okay Castor, don't cry son... it's your right to be mad at me. I do horrible things to Nanay." Gaston pulled them closer to him. He kissed the top of their head, feeling them more. 

"I understand if Pollux is mad at me. Pollux, son, I'm so sorry. Don't think about me, tatay is okay. I will do everything for you to forgive me, champ." Pollux didn't say anything. He remained crying silently. Kahit punong-puno na ng luha ang mga mata niya hindi parin ito nagsasalita. Patuloy lang ito sa pag-iyak pero hindi naman iniiwas ang katawan sa tatay niya. Nakayakap pa rin ito.

"Are you the one who's protecting Nanay?" Gaston asked. Pollux nodded and since his father can't see it, si Castor na ang sumagot. 

"Yes, Tatay. Pollux is the one taking care of me and Nanay."

Gaston pulled Pollux closer to him. "Thank you son... thank you for taking care of Nanay and your twin when tatay is not around. I'm so proud of you. Don't be sorry if you are mad at me, it's okay champ, it's okay. Tatay understands." Gaston is trying to suppress his cries but I can feel the pain in his voice. His hands are even shaking, hugging the twins as gently as he can.