Chapter 40

"I'm sorry if it took me this long to come back here, Senyor--" I said crying  but I wasn't able to finish my sentence because he was too quick to cut me. 

"Papá, Cam...please call me Papá like you used to call me before. I miss hearing you call me that since you were gone. There are so may things I miss about you, Nak. I miss our afternoon bonding. I miss your laughter, I miss your funny jokes. I miss those times that you have to remind me to take my medicines. Every time I took my medicine, I remember you, 'coz you never fail to remind me before even if you're busy."

"I miss how you took care of me. I miss how you cooked my favorite food. Your ginataang tilapya, they tried cooking that for me but no one beats you. Your recipe is still the best. I miss everything about you, nak. Ang dami nating nasayang na panahon. Pero di pa naman huli ang lahat diba? Pwede pa naman kaming babawi diba? Hahayaan mo naman kaming bumawi nak diba? God knows how much we wanted to see you grow. Despite the pain and trauma we cause you we are still hoping that you'll give us chance. You are part of our family. We are still family, right? " I was crying hard while looking at him. He is smiling but the tears never stop streaming from his eyes. 

"I h-hope... I really hope,  that the time we had each other is enough for you to feel that I really treated you as my own daughter. Mahal kita nak, mahal na mahal.  My love for you is the same love I have for my children. Lahat ng pinakita ko sayo noon totoo. Naramdaman mo naman siguro yun diba? I hope...I really hope becuase for us you are and you will be forever our Camilla."

I nodded looking into his eyes. His tears continue rolling down his cheeks. He stares at me gently. The same gentleness he used to look at me before. 

"I know, we hurt you...our family hurt you and no matter what we do, we cannot bring the past back. I-I know things will never be the same. But I also want to tell you that for us you are still the Camilla that we love. Your positivity and bravery will never be forgotten. You are still that brave and strong young woman who captured our hearts. You opened our hearts and our minds and because of you we learn to value more each and everyone of us. The ties between our family become strong."

I continue nodding at him while gently wiping his tears. 

Oh God. Please stop this pain. I so love this old man. I don't want to see him crying. He doesn't deserve this.

"I want you to know that we never stopped praying for this day to come. We always include you in our prayers. We always pray that someday, s-someday you'll find it in your heart to forgive us. And thanks God that he heard our prayers. Thank you Nak, for coming back home. You don't know how you made me all so happy today. We miss you home, Camilla. Salamat at di mo kami nakalimutan..."

"Papá..."

"Salamat nak at nakita pa kita. Salamat at hindi mo tuluyang sinara ang puso mo sa amin. Masaya ako, na sa mga huling sandali ng buhay ko---"

"No, please...d-don't...don't say that Papá. You will recover. I will help you. We'll find a heart for you. Makakahanap tayo, Papá. P-please...wag kang sumuko. H-hahanap ako, h-hahanap ako ng paraan para matulungan kita. Hahanap ako ng puso para sayo, but please...you have to promise me that you'll fight. You will fight for us. Lalaban ka para sa amin,sa mga anak mo at para sa mga apo mo, Papá."

I couldn't contain my cries anymore. Halos di na ako makahinga sa labis na pag-iyak ko. Sobrang sakit na makitang ang taong mahal mo ay naghihirap ng ganito. 

"Please promise me that you will fight, Papá. Hindi ito ang napag-usapan natin. Sabi mo aalagaan mo pa ang mga apo mo sa akin. Sabi mo maglalaro pa kayo ng mga anak ko. Papá andito na, dala ko na sila. Andito na ang mga apo mo sa amin ni Gaston."