KUNTI

There is a lot of hate surrounding Kunti in Mahabharat, a lot of it comes from misconceptions, a lot comes from blind following of certain character *cough* but today I thought to shed some light on her true character. And then you can decide for yourself whether she deserves such hate or not.

Kunti, earlier know as Pritha, was the eldest daughter of Shurasen. She was given away to his friend, King Kuntibhoj because he had no kids of his own, and hence Pritha became Kunti.

Growing up in Kuntibhoj's home, Kunti was a very disciplined, soft-spoken, well-mannered, well-behaved and responsible girl. You can judge her character a lot by the fact that she served the infamous Rishi Durvasa and pleased him.

To test her patience, Rishi Durvasa would throw tantrums and make difficult requests. But Kunti kept her calm and fulfilled all the demands of the sage to the best of her capabilities.

Pleased by her dedication, Rishi Durvasa gives her a mantra that will allow her to call upon any deity and beget a child from him.

But since Kunti was a young girl then, out of curiosity she invoked Suryadev with that mantra. And she was astonished that he actually showed up with the intention of blessing her with a son.

Kunti got scared because she wasn't even married then ! What about the reputation of her parents ? What about the reputation of Kuntibhoj ? She asked for forgiveness and requested Suryadev to return, but the god was bound to the power of mantra and couldn't return without fulfilling the deed.

Kunti relented and became pregnant. Throughout that period she made excuses to stay in her room so that no one would know that she was pregnant. Only one of her handmaiden knew and she arranged for the delivery of the baby.

And when the time came, the torn Kunti gave birth to a son born with natural armour and earrings. Now the reputation of her family and kingdoms was at stake. And Kunti didn't want them to face any shame.

Thus she wrapped the baby, put him in a basket and let it float away, praying to Suryadev to take care of his child.

Now this incident in her life brings her a lot of hate. But try putting yourself in Kunti's place. What would you've done if you were young, unmarried, with a child, and the reputation of foster parents to save ?

Kunti had no other option. The knowledge of being a foster daughter and hence the need to be beyond reproach was heavy in young Kunti's mind.

But did she just let Karna float away and never looked back ? NO !

We know that Karna was found on the banks of Champa city in Anga Desh and adopted by Adirath and Radha of Suta community, who named him Vasusen.

Kunti had confirmed through her spies that her son was safe and growing up in a good household.

And then skip to the future, she gets married to Pandu, begets him 3 children, and helps Madri beget 2. And after the death of both Pandu and Madri, Kunti takes care of all 5 Pandavas, no difference between her and Madri's sons. Infact she takes extra care of Sehdev.

It was her upbringing that made Pandavas, especially Yudhishthir so popular among the citizens of Hastinapur. It was Kunti's values that made him Dharmraj.

After the Lakshagriha incident when Pandavas and Kunti were in hiding on behest of Vidur, because their safety was not yet guaranteed, they found shelter in the house of a Brahmin in Ekachakra nagar.

When she comes to know that one person from her host's family would be offered as food to the demon Bakasur, Kunti stepped in. How can she let any harm befall her hosts ? Kunti said that her son Bheem would go as Bakasur's food.