SANATAN SATYA (PERIODS)

Did you know what is now seen as a taboo in India was once seen as a blessing ? Blame the invader's influences.

Today we shall look into the topic of menstruation or Stree Rajas/Stree Dharm in the context of ancient India.

Historian Narendra Nath Bhattacharya, in his book  "Mythic Origins of Menstrual Taboo in Rig Veda" says that menstrual blood was even served up as an offering to goddesses. Now can you imagine how auspicious Menstruation would've been considered for people to do that ?

Still in many places in India festivals are held where several goddesses are worshipped for menstruating at certain times of the year, and along with them, the girls who are menstruating at that time are also worshipped along.

In this culture, menstruation is deemed to be a monthly purification process of the physical, mental and spiritual aspects of a woman. Physical Cleansing is in the form of bleeding which gets rid of tissues and unfertilised ovum which is no longer needed in the body. Mental cleansing by  releasing anger and provoking thoughts  and spiritual cleansing by practising seclusion from worldly pleasures for a period of few days.

It is believed that menstruation is actually a curse of Indradev which he requested all women to share with him and hence a punishment to bleed for a sin committed. But Indra’s shared curse is actually a boon granted to women to bear children following menstruation and enjoy sexual intercourse at will other than the time of menstruation.

This boon is related to fertility more than menstruation and indicates suitable time of conception (hence sex not advised during menstruation, you'll know why further).

In many parts of India, especially southern, when a girl gets her first period it is celebrated with utmost grandeur. Now isn't it rather incongruent that firstly the girl in menarche is celebrated like so and then she is considered impure ? Foreign influences to be blamed again.

Now do you know why the first period is celebrated like so ? The reason is quite heart warming. It is said that if the family ensure that the girl has a pleasant experience during her first period, she shall have a pleasant view regarding her periods in general. But if the first period gives her an unpleasant experience, then she'll regard periods as a curse.

In fact, it is said that a father who makes his daughter work during her periods, is equal to an animal.

By now it is quite clear, how sacred menstruation was considered. Now let's dive into the Ayurvedic view of it, which might help many of you also.

Ayurveda has a separate section for menstruation, it is called Rajaswala Parichaye. In that there are certain rules which are suggested for women to follow in order to have a healthy period.

Ayurveda is based on the balance of Trigun, Sattva, Rajas and Tamas, and also doshic balance of Vata, Pitta and Kapha. During menstruation Rajas and Vata dosha is in excess hence activities aggravating them are suggested to be avoided.

For those who don't know - Vata governs all movements, Pitta governs all transformations and Kapha governs all structures in the body. A balance of the three doshas in the human body is needed to maintain good health. Whereas Sattva, Rajas and Tamas are the three basic gunas or quality of human nature. When Rajas Guna is in excess, it creates hyperactivity, excessive thinking, and anxiety.

Here are activities suggested to be avoided -

Now let's come to the popular question, why can a girl not enter a temple during menstruation ? A valid question which has sparked a lot of debate

I shall give you three reasons.

(1) Basic logic is that, if you have not taken a bath during your periods, (because it shall lower your Vatta which is extremely necessary for periods), then how can you go to a temple ?

(2) During menstruation, the woman is considered sacred like a living Goddess. So much that if she enters the temple, the  energy residing in that praan-pratishthit murti can move over to her, leaving the idol lifeless.

Now let's say that energy entered into you, will you be able to handle it ? Will your body made of Panchbhoot be able to handle the energy of Sat-Chit-Anand ? We cannot even bear to look at god with our eyes, even Arjun was given Divya drishti, then how can we handle their energy in our body ?

Hence to avoid energy imbalances in places of worship, restriction of entry for menstruating women was put into place since ancient times in India.

(3) This point is related to Yogic Science of Apana Vayu. All downward movements in the body such as defecation, menstruation and orgasm happen by Apana Vayu which is one of the five prana vayus that keep a person alive.

Yoga, meditation or Puja rituals all try to bring the apana vayu towards the upward direction in order to develop spiritual concentration of the mind. But during menstruation if the downward directed Apana vayu is disturbed by performing any of these activities, it can lead to physical and psychological problems in the individual in the long run.

Fun fact - This is also the reason why those in the beginning of the path of spiritual enlightenment avoid sexual thoughts or intercourse, because they don't want their Apana Vayu to go down.

Hence were reasons why a woman in periods must not go to the temple.

There is logic and wisdom in many of  the menstrual restrictions in order for women to have a good quality of life during the reproductive years. But of course, in today's fast-running world we cannot afford to follow all these restrictions. It will be impractical in this age. So we can see for ourselves, what we can follow or not.

Here are a few Ayurvedic tips for making your period a more easeful and nourishing time -

(1) Nettle tea - It is a herbal tea which is extremely good for female reproductive health. It is a cooling, refreshing tea that’s naturally high in iron and calcium, this replenishing tonic helps address anemia, hot flashes, vaginal dryness, and urinary tract conditions. Only drink one cup a day, and you'll be good.

BUT, check with your doctor before drinking nettle tea if you’re pregnant, nursing, have asthma, or are prone to skin rashes.

(2) Don't do your regular yoga. Take a break from your daily Asanas, for some of it may increase your discomfort. You can opt for some other yogic poses, which will help you to ease the pain.

One yogic posture that I do when I experience cramps is called Malasana -

It's easy and trust me, it provides instant relief. And Mata Kamakhya who is often regarded as the goddess of menstruation, is also seen seated in this position, the only difference is her hands are placed over her knees.

(3) Do Svadhyaye. Take time to know yourself better, get to know your body and it's needs. Menstruation is a time for self care and detachment.

□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□
A/N

You know, what Ayurveda has said thousands of years ago, scientists are finding it true now. One of them is that there might be a relation between lunar cycles and menstrual cycles.

Studies are being conducted which suggest that menstruation is also affected by shifts in the moon's gravitational pull.

As per Ayurveda, if your period falls around the time of new moon or Amavasya then it is healthy because the time of full moon or Purnima is associated with ovulation.