Chapter twenty eight

Her head is fuzzy, eyesight blurry and unfocused, the loud music disorients her, rattling about in her head. She shouldn't have taken the shots Stephanie kept handing her. Feeling stuffy in the crowd, Y/n's stomach lurches, pushing her way through the mob of people she fights her way to the front garden.

Laying down on the grass, Y/n stares up at the night sky and the cool breeze washes over her, cooling her flushed face. It feels nice, quiet, and peaceful. The noisy chatter and booming music sounds like it's a million miles away in her drunken haze, as she stares out at the vast expanse of space.
Y/n remembers the camping trips she used to take with her family, her, her mother and her father would stargaze on clear nights like these. Her mom would point out each constellation, telling her their names, while her dad would share his knowledge on each of their star signs.

The only tiredness she would feel back then were the mornings after those nights when she'd stayed up too late.
Y/n would be grumpier on those days, but they never got mad at her. Instead her dad found fun in teasing her during her bad moods, and mom would scold him for making Y/n's mood worse.  Then she would whisk her off to bed earlier than usual, tuck Y/n in at night, give her a soft kiss on the forehead.

She can never go back to those days.

They're gone. Forever.

And she's stuck here, swimming nonstop in her desperate attempts to keep her head above the water. Pleading pitifully to keep a roof over her head. Working to the bone for money. Fighting to live. Fighting to survive.

"You okay?" Y/n's negative spiral is interrupted by Jungkook, who's looking worriedly at her.

No energy to move a single muscle, she stares up at him as his question sinks in. sighing she fights to put on a weak smile, "I'm fine."

Plopping down next to her Jungkook stares up at the sky with Y/n, "you don't look like it."
Corners of her mouth dropping, still she avoids the topic, gazing intently at the moon the fuzzy fog in her mind still clouding her thoughts, "I guess I just... drank too much."

"Let's be real, that's not the only reason," he pushes again, fiddling with Y/n's hair.
Getting slightly annoyed, Y/n knows exactly what he wants to talk to her about. She brushes his hand off her, forcing herself to sit up, ignoring the pounding in her head, Y/n blankly asks him, "listen Jungkook, I don't want to talk about that. Not tonight. Can't I just enjoy one night without having to think or worry about work tomorrow?"

Furrowing his brow Jungkook retorts matter-of-factly, "you'll never have to worry about tomorrow if you decide to quit today."

Frustrations build, Y/n lets out a exhaustipated half laugh, running her hands through her hair, crossing her legs. Staring him in the eyes she irritably announces, "how many times do I have to tell you, I'm not quitting."
Jungkook who's now also getting aggravated at her stubbornness, runs his tongue over the inside of his cheek, and twitches his head.

Raising his voice he blurts out all the hate he has for Y/ns work, "Quit. They treat you like crap, give you the worst shifts, have you at their beck and call. You pick up the slack for all of Eddy's favourites. He makes you do work you were never trained for, and then blames you when you mess up. He docks your pay whenever he can. Even when you do something right he Doesn't Give A Shit! In fact he treats you worse. You go in when it's Snowing when everyone else would call out, collect carts when it's Raining because no one else wants to do it. Hell you're not even given a break from work when you're Sick! WHY DO YOU WORK THERE!"