Chapter twenty nine

Pay day. The day every worker waits for in anticipation, and for Y/n it's been a long time coming.
Getting to work at 5:00am is rough. Y/n massively feels that the previous night's party wasn't worth it. What was meant to be a fun wind down, turned into her adding fuel to the dumpster fire that's her life.

Not only does she have a killer hangover, less than five hours of sleep, and the mess she'll have to go through for talking back to Stephanie. To top it all off the alcohol only heightened her frustrations, and Y/n fought with Jungkook.
So the money that should soon be hitting her bank account today couldn't have come at a better time. All the overtime that's been running her ragged should give her a hefty bonus, Y/n might even have enough spare to buy Jungkook an apology present.

Depressed just thinking about him Y/n has to push down any negative thoughts, wanting to just soldier through today, and worry later. 
And so Y/n focuses all her attention on mopping the gallon of milk spilled in the dairy section.

"Excuse me young lady," an old voice calls out to her.
Pulled out of her milky trance she looks up to see a sweet looking old lady, holding a birthday cake. Putting on her best customer service smile, stepping away from the milk, Y/n responds, "yes how may I help you today ma'am?"

"You see, this cake has been reduced but the sticker is so faded, and I didn't bring my glasses. Could you please read it for me, I want to buy it for my granddaughter's birthday," the old lady slowly explains.

Taking the cake box Y/n can tell why she struggled, even she had to lean in close to read the text, "I believe it's been reduced from £12.99 to £8.88 ma'am."

Handing it back to the old lady she gently thanks Y/n with that classic old lady charm, "ahh I think I'll buy it then, thank you for your help dear, I hope you have the day you deserve." Patting the back of Y/n's hand, and then she's off on her way. Y/n returns to her mopping duties before Eddy checks the security cameras and sees her dawdling, giving her an earful.

Break time comes at 10:00 am, entering the break room Y/n sees none of the chairs are open, which isn't unusual on a Sunday. Going to her locker Y/n fishes out her phone, her pay check normally hits her bank from 0:00-7:00.

Excitedly Y/n opens her banking app, but her face drops when she sees her money. She's missing some.
"No that can't be right," Y/n mumbles to herself, thinking she's going crazy. Did she buy something she can't recall? She definitely calculated how much she should be getting and what her balance should look like, yet she's missing over £100 of her money.

Going through and counting the hours she worked this month, she's definitely missing about a day's worth of her pay. She worked 184 hours this month, but she was only paid under 160.

Thinking there's some kind of mix up Y/n nervously wipes her sweaty hands on her jeans, taking a deep breath she goes and knocks on Eddys office.
"Come in," he impatiently but still somewhat politely calls from the other end of the door.

Entering Y/n sees Eddy sitting at his cheap desk, computer angled towards him showcasing the security camera footage. By the door is a small rubbish bin, with a bunch of paper balls scattered around it on the floor, one of which Y/n accidentally kicks with her foot on her way in.

Closing the door behind her, she bravely strides right up to Eddys desk.
Y/n can see the stains on his shirt from some kind of sauce, and the rings of mugs imprinting on his desk. The stubble on his chin, and the dandruff in his hair. Each wrinkle on his shirt and blazer, as well as the pins he keeps on them, one saying manager in the store's colours, another's a silver feather, and one for a charity they're currently supporting in the store. A charity that Eddy would curse and rant about to staff members in the break room.