Chapter 8

AUTHOR NOTE: This just went through some minor editing- nothing much was changed it's still the original. 

A few of the doctors from Med are heading to a sports event, to treat any injured athletes. There isn't parking at the venue, so we parked as close as possible, and now we're walking away, to the venue. 

We don't have long to walk. Natalie, Will, Maggie and I are walking together, while Connor and Ava are walking in front. Their fingers were interlocked with each other at one point, but thankfully, they aren't anymore. 

"So," Maggie says to me. "How are things going with you and Connor, then?" She makes sure to whisper, in order to not be heard.

"They're fine, I guess," I tell her, shrugging. "I mean, we're friends, and we're good, but other than that, nothing else. He's still fully committed to Ava." 

Maggie nods. "I see," she says, thinking for a moment. "Well, you seem less...sad ex-girlfriend, lately. That's good, right?" 

"Yeah, it is," I say. I am just about to answer, when I hear a loud sound, followed by screaming, shouting and a large mass of people, seeming to emerge from just about everywhere, running. 

"What's going on?" I ask, quickly. Everyone looks terrified. I have to hold onto Maggie's arm in order to not be swept off my feet by the crowd. There is screaming and shrieking everywhere.

"There's a shooter!" someone yells, before running away. My face falls, and my eyes widen in alarm. I had completely forgotten that Chicago was well-known for being the city of guns. 

I still haven't quite gotten over what happened to me, when I was shot. I feel my heart beating in my chest. 

"We have to go and help," Will says. "Natalie, come on. There's probably a lot of people on the scene that need urgent medical assistance. Let's go." 

"Got it," Natalie says. She runs off after Will, quickly into the crowd. I hope that they're both safe. 

"Connor," Ava says. "We should go. People are going to need help, and we can help them. Come on." 

"I'll go with Natalie and Will," Maggie says, running quickly in the same direction that they both went in.

I am still standing, stunned. I don't know what to do. My flight or fight instinct is really being tested here, and not in a good way. 

"Connor, we have to go too," Ava says, beginning to walk into the crowd. "People are injured there, no doubt. Let's go."

Connor nods, looking back at me. We make eye contact, and he gives me a sympathetic look. "You go," he says. "I'll just call Med and update them. I'll be there soon, okay?" 

"Okay," Ava says, shrugging. "Come quickly, though. There are a lot of people who will most likely need a lot of help." She runs off into the crowd, leaving only Connor, with me. 

"Tessa," he says, gently, moving towards me. "Are you okay?" 

"Yes," I say, almost snapping at him. "Why wouldn't I be okay? You should probably go and help. They need you in there." 

"I'm not leaving you here, in the middle of all of this," Connor says. "Let me walk you back to the car, and then I'll go and help."

"No, I'm going to help," I insist. "I just needed a moment to collect myself, that's all. I am going in there." 

"Tessa, you don't have to," he says. "Nobody would blame you. Everyone understands what you went through, and I understand your fear. You haven't had the best of luck when it comes to shootings." 

"Let me walk back by myself," I say. "I don't need you to accompany me. I'm not a child. I can manage it by myself." 

Just then, a crowd of people run past, almost knocking me off my feet. Connor takes my arm to steady me. "Woah, you almost fell," he says. "Come on. Let me walk you back. You'll get swept up if you try to find your way back alone."

"Fine," I say, agreeing, only because I want to spend this time with him, want to make the most of the fact that he stayed behind, just for me. 

"Come here," Connor says. "Stay close to me, and you won't get swept up again. We should hurry, though." 

As we try to make our way through the crowd of people, yelling and running everywhere, Connor leans down to ask me something. "You're shaking," he says. "Are you sure that you're okay? I know how you feel about all of this." 

"I'm fine," I tell him, although that isn't exactly true. "I don't mind going back to help, just as long as..." I trail off, because there really isn't any point. I'm not brave enough to help. In other words, I'm a coward. 

"It's okay," Connor says, gently. "It's fine. As I said, nobody is going to blame you for not wanting to get right in there, in the action, especially considering what happened to you. You can still help, once we get everyone back to the hospital."

"Do you think I'm a coward?" I ask him, looking into his eyes, trying to read his face. "I'm not brave enough to help people, because I'm still holding on to a fear from something that happened ages ago." 

"What? No, Tessa, no, you're not a coward," Connor tells me, squeezing my shoulder. "Don't think that, not even for one second. Nobody else has been through what you've been through." 

"Okay," I say, exhaling. "Well, we're here. This is the car. You can go back to helping people now." 

"Are you sure?" Connor asks me. "I won't go if you don't want me to. They'll manage just fine without me. Are you sure that you don't want me to stay with you?" 

"Yes, I'm sure," I tell him, trying to smile. "I'll be okay. I'll call Med, and get them to dispatch ambulances, okay? Just go." 

Connor nods and runs off. I think I see a smile on his face. 

My heart is beating fast, but I can't tell if it's from Connor, or the nerves. 

I'm pretty sure it's not the nerves.