Chapter 52

I look down at him, watching him get up and climb out of the backseat. His hair is a mess and he's still wearing the clothes from last night. 

"How?" I ask, because that's all I can think of. I'm still in disbelief. How could that have happened? 

"I know, I know," he says, groggily. "I know what you're going to say, and I'm sorry. I know that I kept you waiting." 

"You did," I tell him, nodding. "Why? How did you manage to fall asleep in the back of your car? Why didn't you text? What happened, Connor?" 

"I don't know, I'm sorry," he says, rubbing his eyes. "I know you're mad at me. You have every right to be mad at me." 

"You're right, I do," I say, still trying to make sense of the situation. "I just want to know how. How did that even happen?" 

"I really don't know," Connor says, sighing. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, you should be mad at me. I know how it looks." 

"Maggie's expecting me to get back," I tell him. "You should probably come back too. And change your clothes. You don't want to let people know that you slept in the back of your car." 

"You're right," Connor says, nodding. "I probably look terrible right now. Tessa, I really am sorry. I can't imagine how mad you are right now. I owe you an explanation." 

"So, what is the explanation?" I ask him, as we walk. "What happened? Could you really not make the short drive back to your apartment? Was that really too much for you?" 

Connor looks guilty. "I probably should have done, but I was exhausted. I could barely keep my eyes open, and I was only going to rest, but I guess I must have fallen asleep." 

I look at him. His excuse really does seem genuine, and it's the first time he's ever done something like that. It could have just been a mistake. It's possible. 

"So you just fell asleep?" I echo, slowly. "You were exhausted, what, from the surgery?" I ask. 

"Yes," he sighs. "It probably seems like a crappy excuse,  but it's true. Can we just forget that this happened." 

I look at his expression of concern, and sigh. "Okay," I say, softly. "Yes, we can forget this. Just as long as you don't fall asleep in your car again, leaving me to wonder what happened to you." 

"Deal," he says, as we walk into the hospital. "Tessa, I really am sorry. I know how bad it looks. I really shouldn't have done that."

"It's okay," I say, smiling. "Let's forget that it happened. Don't worry about it." 

"Good," he says. "Well, I have to go, but I'll see you later. Usual place?" 

"Got it," I say, as we are about to part ways. "See you then."

I watch as he walks away. All of my concern was for nothing. I didn't need to be worried. 

It all turned out fine in the end. 

Didn't it?