Chapter 73

(For context, this is the day after the previous chapter, coming back from the hospital) 

Connor and I are walking out of the hospital after a long day. "So," he says, turning to me. "Are you still planning some crazy tradition for us to do?" 

"No," I say, exhausted. "Not today. I didn't plan to be this worn out, but it's been such a long day. You too?" I ask him. 

He nods, slowly. "I've had quite a day," he explains. "I can barely keep my eyes open at this point." 

"Same," I say, as we reach his car. "I'm just looking forward to sleeping. I haven't been this exhausted since...I don't even know when." 

"Let's get home, then," he says, smiling at me. "Christmas traditions can wait until tomorrow, right?" 

"Definitely," I say, nodding. "I'm too exhausted to even think about Christmas right now. It's like...the last thing on my mind." 

... 

BACK AT THE APARTMENT: 

Connor opens the door to the apartment, and we walk in. "Finally, we're home," I sigh. "I'm too exhausted to even appreciate the Christmas tree right now," I remark, as I walk past the tree. 

"Wow, today must have really knocked you out," he laughs. "A few days ago, you were obsessed with Christmas. It was all you could think about." 

"Well, that's what being a doctor does for you," I say, sighing. "I'm going to shower. See you soon." 

"See you soon," he says, as I walk away to the bathroom. I'm so exhausted that I can barely keep my eyes open. It has been a very long day today. 

I shower quickly, not wanting it to take too long. My main priority is getting it done quickly so that I can rest. I'm finding it difficult to even stand up. I really shouldn't have stayed up watching the snow last night. 

Just as I'm brushing my hair in front of the mirror, I hear something. "Tessa?" Connor is calling my name, for some reason. 

"What is it?" I call back. For a moment, he doesn't respond and I wonder if he even heard me.

"Tessa, come out here!" he calls again, louder this time. I don't know why he wants me to come out, unless there's something going on. What if there is something serious happening? 

The thought of it makes me rush out there quickly. I always seem to jump to conclusions, as I don't immediately see anything going on. In fact, I don't see anything at all. 

"What is going on?" I ask, speaking to an empty room. I can't see Connor anywhere, and I'm fairly sure he called me into this room. 

Suddenly, he appears from around a corner, a smile on his face. I still have no idea what is happening here, but at least I know that nothing serious is going on. That still doesn't help me figure out what is happening, though. 

"This way," he says, grinning, and gesturing to the couch. "Sit down," he instructs me, and so I do. I still don't know what is happening. 

"Are you going to give me a clue as to what is going on?" I ask, still as confused as I was before. "You're being very mysterious." 

"I know that you're too tired to do this Christmas stuff, and I get that, but I also know how much of a hardcore Christmas lover you are, even if I don't quite understand why," he tells me. 

"Yes..." I say, getting an idea of what's happening now. Whatever he's doing, it's sweet. Now I just need to find out what it is. 

"So, I decided to give you the best of both worlds," he explains. "You can rest from your long day, and still introduce me to one of your favourite Christmas traditions. You know, those cheesy Hallmark movies that you're somehow obsessed with?" 

"Wow," I say, smiling. "That's so sweet. Thank you. I didn't think I could ever convince you to sit through a Hallmark Christmas movie. Especially not after what you said about them yesterday!" 

"Well, here you go," he says, smiling at me. "So feel free to get comfortable, and relax. Let the Christmas tradition begin." 

"Thank you for doing this," I say, as he puts an arm around me. "I know how you feel about these movies, so thank you. I appreciate it, I really do." 

"No problem," he says. "Just make sure you don't pick a movie that's completely dull." He pauses for a moment. "That was a joke," he confirms, laughing. "I'll be happy with whatever you choose. It's fine." 

"Don't worry," I say, laughing. "There's a movie that I love that I think even you might enjoy, even if you didn't want to admit it." 

"Really?" he asks, raising an eyebrow. "I doubt that, but I'm open to being surprised. Show me this movie, then." 

"I will," I say, nodding. "It's my favourite. It's full of everything that you could want in a traditional Christmas movie. You'll love it, I hope." 

"If you love it, then I'm sure I will," he says, smiling. "Now show me this movie. If we keep talking, we'll never get to watch it!" 

"Good point," I say, laughing. It takes me a minute to find the movie, but eventually I do. It doesn't help that Connor has every single streaming service available. Finally, I find the movie that I've been looking for, and I get it loaded up. "Get ready for this," I tell him, smiling. 

"Believe me, I'm ready for it," he says, grinning. "In fact, you could even say that I am almost excited to see this movie." 

"Well, well, well," I say, teasing him. "Maybe we've made a Christmas lover out of you already." 

"I don't think you're quite there yet," he tells me. "But this past week has been fun, I have to say. I've enjoyed it." 

"I knew you would," I say, smiling. "Now, be quiet. The movie is about to start, and you have to take everything in."