Chapter 70

Author Note: I want to focus mainly on the cute Christmas stuff, so I won't be including any major storylines probably for the rest of the time up to the 25th (5 days from now) but this christmassy stuff will still be interesting...I hope!! As always, thank you for reading and I really hope you enjoy! 

(For some backstory, this is later in the same day as the last chapter, after they have gone out and bought the Christmas tree + ornaments and they are now taking it back to the apartment to decorate it) 

Connor opens the car door, and starts to pull the tree out by the top of it. I rush over to his side.

"Wait!" I gasp, stopping him. "You can't do it that way! You'll pull the top part off! Carry it like this." I demonstrate it to him, and then let him take over. 

"Am I doing it right?" he asks, carrying the tree. "Wow, Tessa, this thing is heavy. Did you have to choose the biggest tree?" 

"Complaining already?" I ask, teasing him. "Come on, Christmas hasn't even started." 

"You try carrying this huge thing!" he laughs. "You're lucky, just having to carry the box of ornaments." 

"You offered to carry the tree!" I protest, as we walk up to the apartment. I walk ahead and open the door. 

"Where am I putting this thing?" Connor asks. "Do you have a preference for where it has to go?"

"By the window," I tell him, pointing at the space where I want it to go. "Unless you want to put it somewhere else. I just think it looks nice there." 

"Okay," he says, putting the tree down gently. "You're right, it looks really nice here. It frames the room." 

"Exactly," I say. "Now, I have to go and get a few Christmas ornaments that I brought from back home. I think they're in the closet. I'll be right back. Don't start decorating without me!"

"I wouldn't dream of it!" Connor laughs, as I walk away.  

I walk into the bedroom, and try to find the box which I know has the few ornaments in it. Finally I find it, and take out the ornaments. There are five, all from my childhood. I walk back out, ready to show Connor the ornaments, when I see something unexpected. 

Connor is kneeling on the floor, lining the ornaments up in some sort of strange colour or size order. Whatever it is, I'm confused by it. 

"What are you doing?" I ask. "Like, seriously? What is that?" I try not to sound as horrified as I am. 

"I'm lining them up, ready to put on the tree," he says, innocently. "They're in order of size." 

"They don't have to be in an order," I tell him, laughing. "The tree is meant to be slightly messy, or random. It isn't meant to be organised and neat!" 

"Wait, so you just want to put them anywhere?" he asks. "Wow, that is not how I did it, when I was a kid."  

"Come on," I say, taking one of the ornaments and putting it on a random branch of the tree. "See. Totally random. Now you do one." 

So he does, and then I do another, and it goes on like that for a while. 

Halfway through decorating, Connor asks a question. "Wait, what are we going to put on top of the tree?" 

"This," I say, producing a handmade angel. "I made it when I was 6," I explain, showing it to him proudly. 

"I can see that," he says, taking it from me and examining it. "Tessa, it's made out of a toilet roll tube?"

"Yes!" I say, laughing. "That's part of the fun! It'll look great, trust me." 

"Okay, if you say so," he says, shrugging. "I still think that it looks less like an angel and more like a toilet roll tube, which is exactly what it is." 

"Come on, get in the Christmas spirit!" I laugh, elbowing him lightly in the ribs. "It'll look amazing on top of this tree." 

"Hold on, let me take a photo of this," Connor says. "I have to send this to Claire." 

I hang a few more ornaments on the tree, while he is getting his phone. Suddenly, a flash catches my eye, and I look up.

"Did you take a photo of me?" I ask Connor, looking at the way he was holding his phone up. He very clearly was. 

"Yes, but only because you looked so sweet in the moment, decorating the tree," he says, showing me the photo. "I'm going to make it my new lock screen." 

"My mouth is like, wide open," I say, raising an eyebrow. "It isn't a flattering photo." 

"You look great," he says. "There, I've done it." He shows me the photo as his lock screen. 

I take another ornament out of the box, one shaped like a snowflake, and I start to hang it on a branch of the tree, when I feel two arms wrap around my waist. 

"I didn't think it was possible to love you any more than I do right now," Connor whispers into my hair.  

"Thank you," I say, relaxing into his arms. "Maybe I'd love you more than I do right now if you actually helped me with the tree." 

"Ouch," he says, laughing. "I'll help you put the toilet-tube angel on top, if you want." 

"Okay," I say, handing it to him. "I'll let you do the honours. Be careful with it, though. It's old." 

"I know," he says, but I see him being more careful with it. He places it gently on the top of the tree. "There," he says, proudly. "How does that look?"

"Perfect," I say, nodding. "This is it. It looks absolutely perfect." 

"That was fun," he says, smiling. "I have to say, I didn't have high hopes for it, but I had fun. Who knew that decorating a tree could be so enjoyable." 

"Just wait, there's a lot more for us to do before Christmas. It's only just started." I smile, while telling him this. 

"I can't wait," Connor says, and I think he really means it this time.