Chapter 54

I look at the clock. Maggie said that the surgery would only go on for a few hours. It's been seven hours. It's past midnight, and he still isn't back. 

I've tried calling him a few times, although that isn't going to do any good. I can't believe that a surgery would take this long, especially not one that was only meant to take a few hours. 

I refresh the notifications on my phone again, although I'm not sure why. I must be checking them every minute now. Still nothing. Just like I thought. 

I call him one final time, not expecting him to pick up. He doesn't. I put the phone down. I can't wait for him any more. I have to get up early again tomorrow morning. 

I walk into the bedroom, checking my phone again. Still nothing from Connor. Before I put my phone down, I text him quickly. I can't stop myself. 

Where are you?? I thought you said that you wouldn't be long? x 

Of course he doesn't respond, or even see the message. I put my phone down, and get into the bed. Again, I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. Again, I fall asleep in a bed, alone. 

THE NEXT MORNING 

I am woken by the alarm again. I can't believe Connor isn't here. I roll over on my side, preparing for the fact that he won't be next to me. 

To my relief and surprise, I hear his loud breathing, almost snoring. I tap him on the shoulder. I have to find out what happened last night. 

"Connor," I hiss. I'm annoyed now. "Wake up." I watch as his eyes slowly open and he looks up at me. 

"Tessa," he says. "What time is it? It feels like it's too early." 

"It isn't," I tell him, irritably. "What happened to you last night? Your surgery wasn't supposed to take that long, was it? I waited seven hours! Seven!" 

"Seven?" he asks, sleepily. "What did you do for all of that time?" 

I hate how unbothered he is. It's irritating. 

"I watched TV, I called my sister, and I spent ages refreshing the notifications on my phone in the hope that you would let me know what happened to you." 

"Are you mad?" he asks me. "I feel like you're mad. You absolutely should be mad. I really should have texted you. I just got called into another emergency surgery, just as I was about to leave. I couldn't do anything about it." 

"Another emergency surgery?" I ask him. "Why have you been doing so many recently?" 

"I really don't know," he sighs. "Believe me, I don't. I'm really sorry. I spent the entire surgery, thinking of you," he tells me. 

I raise an eyebrow. "The entire surgery?" I ask him, sceptically. 

"A lot of it," he tells me. "I was thinking of you, staying up and waiting for me. I felt terrible. I would have rather been here with you, than there. I swear."

I sigh. I really don't know what to make of all this.