Chapter 38

"Explain what?" I ask him, not quite knowing what to think. "You'd better not say what I think you're going to say." 

"I'm not," Connor tells me, although I don't quite believe him. "I just think that..." 

"What?" I ask, interrupting him purposely. "What do you think?" 

"Tessa," he says, sighing. "Come on. Let me speak. Let me explain." 

"Okay," I say, shrugging. "Explain. Go on." 

"I just think that we should be more...subtle. I'm not saying forever, just for a few weeks. You said it yourself that there has been...some disapproval about us." 

"Disapproval?" I ask him, shocked. "I mean, there has, but it's only Maggie and Natalie. They'll get over it once the newest gossip comes along." 

"Exactly," Connor says. "We should go slowly while we're here at the hospital. Don't get mad when I say this, but it's for Ava too. You don't want any drama, and if she doesn't see us together, she'll eventually get used to the idea of us." 

"That's ridiculous," I scoff, rolling my eyes. "Are you being serious now? You want us to pretend we aren't dating, for Ava? Really?" 

"No, no," he says quickly. "Definitely not. I didn't mean that. I just mean that we shouldn't be full on, just for a few weeks, to get everyone on board." 

"Oh, I'm sorry," I say, folding my arms. "I didn't realise that our relationship had expanded to everyone else. My mistake." 

"Tessa," he sighs, exasperated. "Come on. I knew that you would take it badly." 

"Do you think I'm unreasonable?" I ask him, studying him closely. "Really? Because I'm not sorry for wanting to hide our relationship to accommodate your jealous ex girlfriend." 

Connor sighs, nodding. "Okay," he says. "I don't think you're unreasonable. I can see why you wouldn't want to do that." 

"Then why would you suggest it in the first place?" I ask him, shocked. 

"Don't be mad," he asks, in this patronising voice that makes me want to scream. 

"It's too late for that," I tell him, harshly. "Do you not want this relationship or something? Because you've been giving that impression."

"Of course I want this," Connor assures me, trying to put his hand on my arm. I pull it away. 

"So why are you so desperate to keep our relationship secret, for none other than your ex girlfriend. Do you know how that seems?" I ask him, angrily. 

"I'm not," Connor tells me. "I swear that I'm not. Tessa, I want us. You know that." 

"I thought I did," I sigh, wondering briefly if I'm being too dramatic. 

"I'm sorry," Connor says. "I should have known that it was a bad idea. I shouldn't have suggested it." 

"No, you shouldn't," I tell him, irritably. "I still can't believe that you would." 

Connor is silent and I wonder if I've taken it too far. I don't want to be dramatic, as that would only make me more like Ava. 

Although, that seemed to work quite well for her.