Chapter 46

I stand, stunned in that small locker room. It feels almost as though the walls are closing in on me. That can't have happened. 

That shouldn't have happened. It wasn't what I wanted. I never planned for this to happen. 

"Tessa?" Connor asks me. "Are you okay?" 

He must have noticed my shell-shocked look. It's genuine shock. I didn't know that was going to happen. It was never a possibility. 

"I- I think I need to sit down," I say, feeling almost dizzy. "No, no, I need to go. I have to get out of here." 

As I turn to leave, I hear Connor's voice behind me. "Tessa," he says, making me stop in my tracks. 

I turn around. "I really have to go," I tell him, just wanting to leave the room and run. 

"This isn't a real end," he tells me, gently. "This is not a break-up. I know that. This is just...a pause." 

"A pause?" I ask, a strange feeling in my chest. It almost feels hollow. 

"Just until we...or you figure out what to do, to keep this going." He looks at me with a concerned look that I can't deal with right now. 

I genuinely don't know what to say. I really am lost for words. What is someone meant to say when faced with a situation like this? 

"Okay," I say, because that's about all I can manage right now. This isn't how I wanted it to go. I could never have imagined this scenario. Never in a million years did this thought ever cross my mind, and now it's my reality. 

 "Are you okay?" he asks me. I think it's quite obvious that I'm not. He specifically stated that it wasn't a breakup, but it was. He just ended things. 

I shake my head slowly. "I have to get out of this room," I tell him, gesturing around. The walls seem to closing in on me. "This tiny room feels almost...suffocating." 

Connor gives me a confused look. It must be strange for me to be talking about the size of the locker room when he just essentially ended everything. 

"I have to get out of here," I say again, because that's all I can think of right now. My mind feels blank. This must have been how he felt when I walked out on him to go to New York. 

"Tessa," he says, but it's too late. Too little, too late. The damage has already been done. That's it. 

"I'm sorry, I have to go," I tell him, rushing out of the locker room. I just have to get somewhere else right now. I need to go back to work and pretend that everything is okay, because if I think about it anymore then I just might fall apart. 

"Tessa!" he calls out again. I hear the door of the locker room close behind him, and so I pick up the pace. I don't want to look him in the eye right now. 

I don't even know what I can do about this.