Chapter 55

I sigh, deciding to leave it. There's nothing that either of us can do. That's just how it has to be, and I know that. 

"Wait," he says, as I start to walk away to the kitchen. "Tessa, wait." 

I turn around. "What is it?" I ask him. He has a look of guilt on his face, so I know that this isn't going to be the best news. 

"I have to work late again," he tells me. "Really late. We have a really high-profile patient coming in. I have to be there." 

"Okay," I say, sighing. "How late are you going to be? Do I need to wait?" 

I know that he'll never ask me to wait, but I offer it anyway, although I have been more exhausted lately, after waiting for him to return. 

"No, don't wait for me," he says. "I could be ages. You should just come back here." 

"Got it," I say. "At least you have a day off tomorrow. We could do something together, if you feel like it?" 

"I do," he says, not quite looking at me. He has the same guilty face again. I can almost predict what he's about to say. 

"Let me guess," I say, sighing. "You don't have a day off tomorrow anymore?" 

"We're short-staffed at the moment," he tells me. "I offered. Do you mind?" 

"No, I guess not," I say, sighing. Secretly, I do mind. It feels like I've barely seen him recently, and taking all of these extra shifts isn't helping anything. 

"So, you're mad?" Connor asks me. He looks at me expectantly. 

"What? No, I'm not mad. I didn't say that," I say. The truth is that I am slightly irritated, but I wouldn't say anything about it. 

"Tessa, remember that I know you very well," he says, almost smiling. "You're annoyed." 

"Maybe I am," I sigh. "It's not an ideal situation, is it? We've barely seen each other lately." 

"I know," he says, nodding. "I get that. I just can't help it if we're short-staffed. My career, it's not easy..." 

"I understand that," I tell him. "That's why I can't be mad at you, not really. It's just that picking up all of these extra shifts and doing all of this extra work isn't helping anything."

"We're short-staffed," Connor protests. "I have to do this, otherwise we'll have to start refusing patients. I really need to do this extra work, all of these emergency calls. The hospital needs that." 

"Why you?" I ask. "I mean, I get it. I understand a few extra shifts here and there, maybe a few emergency calls, but this is every night, every morning, even on your days off. Do you ever not work?"

"It's just difficult at the moment," he explains. "It's complicated. It won't be like this forever. The hospital will get more staff, more surgeons, everything. It won't always be this way." 

"It's just frustrating," I say. "I know why you have to do it, but all of this? There are other surgeons. It doesn't always have to be you." 

Connor just looks at me. I can't read the expression on his face.