Chapter 21

TESSA'S POV:
(they won't all be written like this)

As I walk into the hospital today, Maggie calls me over. "Dr Miller!" she yells, addressing me formally. I walk over to her quickly.

"Yes, Maggie?" I ask. There is someone standing awkwardly next to her. I wonder who it is. 

"This is Student Doctor Max Allen. He will be joining us for a few days, and Ms Goodwin chose you to show him around and teach him how we do things here at Med," Maggie tells me excitedly. 

"Okay," I say, smiling. "It's great to meet you, Student Doctor Allen. I'm Dr Miller." I hold out my hand and he shakes it enthusiastically. 

"Call me Max," he says, as he shakes my hand. "It's so great to finally be here, in Chicago Med. I've been waiting for this for a long time." 

Maggie laughs. "He's very eager," she tells me. "I think you'll get along well with him. He's very keen to work." 

"Nice," I say, nodding. "Well, I'm glad." I turn my attention to Max, smiling. "You can call me Tessa, by the way," I tell him. 

"I love that name," he exclaims. "I have a friend called Tessa." He smiles back at me, seeming genuinely excited to work here. 

"Right," I say. "Well, Max, follow me. I'll just show you where everything is around here. Don't worry, it's all very simple, and mostly easy to understand." 

"Perfect," Max says, nodding. "Thank you so much for showing me around here. I can't wait to actually get started."

I smile at his enthusiasm as I lead him over to an empty treatment room. "This is a treatment room, and the bed is currently being stripped down as a patient has just been discharged." 

"Got it," he says. "Wow, these treatment rooms are really advanced. Nothing like any of the other hospitals that I've been to." 

Just then, Ethan walks in. "Ah, Max," I say turning around. "This is Dr Ethan Choi. He's one of the best doctors that we have here at Med. Ethan, this is Student Doctor Max Allen." 

Ethan shakes Max's hand. "Great to meet you," he says. "Student doctor, right? We'll look forward to having you working with us. Chicago Med is a very good hospital. You need to be at the top of your game if you're going to succeed with us, right?" 

Max nods. "I really hope so," he says. "I've been looking forward to coming to this hospital for a while now." 

Ethan smiles, before leaving. "He's very...professional, isn't he," Max says, once Ethan has left the treatment room.

"Yes," I exclaim. "You're right. He's very dedicated to his work," I remark, stifling a laugh. Max is quite funny. He'll be a good addition to the team, here at Med. 

"He seems uptight," Max jokes, gesturing to where Ethan is lecturing one of the newer nurses. "Honestly, quite intimidating."

I laugh at this now. "Exactly," I say. "You know, I was quite intimidated by him when I first came here, but he's not all that bad, once you get to know him."

Max nods. "I'll take your word for it," he says, laughing. It feels great to joke around with someone. I hope that Max likes Chicago Med, because it could be a good thing for him to stick around. 

CONNOR'S POV: 

I watch them from a small distance away. Tessa doesn't know I'm looking. I don't even know why I'm looking. As I was walking by, I saw them laughing with each other, standing close together. I just decided to see what they were laughing about. 

I don't know how to even describe it, but seeing Tessa laugh so effortlessly, making jokes with a man who is honestly quite attractive, against the standards of people working here at the hospital. It makes me feel...strange. 

I decide to walk in there and find out more. I don't even know who this man is, and I know that I shouldn't even care. I'm with Ava, and I love her. Still, I just want to find out. 

"Hey," I say, interrupting their laughter. "Tessa, who's this?" I ask her, trying to seem light-hearted. I don't want to seem too irritated. 

"Oh, Connor, this is Student Doctor Max Allen," she says, in a professional voice. "Max, this is Dr Connor Rhodes. He's a great doctor, and a really talented surgeon."

I feel myself blush slightly as she says this, immediately hating myself for it. "Welcome to Med, Student Doctor Allen," I say, addressing him formally. 

"Thanks," he says, reaching out his hand to shake mine. Reluctantly, I shake it. "It's so great to be here," he says. 

He seems too enthusiastic for me. There's something strange about this man that I can't quite put my finger on. Perhaps I'm just imagining things, because of this strange feeling that I got when I saw the two of them laughing together. 

"Was there something you needed, Connor?" Tessa asks me, looking at me now. I had completely forgotten to think of a reason that I would just randomly go into the treatment room. 

"No," I say, quickly. "No, no, there was nothing. I just wanted to come and see who the new student doctor was. It's great to meet you."

I hope that it's a believable lie. I don't want anyone to find out that I had been silently observing them, with a small feeling of almost...jealousy. 

I don't want to admit that. I shouldn't be jealous. I have a girlfriend, who I love, whilst Tessa is single. I have no possible reason to be jealous. 

"Okay, great," Tessa says. She doesn't say anything, but I sense that the conversation is over and that I should leave the treatment room. 

"I have to go, but I'll see you both around somewhere," I say, smiling at both of them, but mostly at Tessa. I still don't know how I feel about the new student doctor, or that Tessa already calls him by his first name when she's known him for all of five minutes. 

There's a lot of things that I don't know, but something tells me that I need to start finding answers soon.