Chapter 27

Author Note: hi! i'm really busy at the moment so I will be doing a few shorter 500-word chapters for a few days, but it should be back to normal soon! thank you so much for reading! 

I'm just about to leave the hospital, when I see Natalie. I realise that I haven't told her about the kiss, or anyone else for that matter, and I want to. 

I want to share it with somebody, to tell somebody. It's important to me. I walk over to her, smiling. "Natalie," I say, to get her attention. 

"Hi," she replies, smiling at me. "I haven't seen you all day. How are you doing?" she asks. 

"I'm doing great," I tell her, nodding. "Actually, more than great. Something that I've wanted to happen for a long time is finally happening."

"Really?" Natalie asks. "Well, I could tell that something was going on, judging by that smile on your face. What is it?" 

"It's about Connor," I tell her, smiling. Just thinking about it makes me want to smile. "We kissed." 

"Wow," she says, nodding. "I can't believe that. What about Ava? Aren't they still together?" she asks me.

I nod, guiltily. This is the part that I don't want to tell people. "Yes," I sigh, my voice quieter now. "Yes, they are."

Natalie is quiet for a moment, as though she can't quite figure out what to say to me. "I see," she says, finally. "So, he kissed you behind Ava's back?" She looks sceptical, and I can understand why. 

"I know what you're thinking," I say, sighing. "But it isn't like that. I'm not that type of person. This is a good thing, Natalie."

"I know, I can see that," she tells me. "I just don't want you to get too hopeful, or anything like that. He is still with Ava."

"I know he is," I tell her, irritably. "But he kissed me. I know it doesn't seem like a lot, but it is. It's the start of something."

"Something?" she repeats, with a raised eyebrow. She is doubting me, it's obvious. Still, she might have a point. 

"Yes, something," I tell her, firmly. I want her to know how important this is. This kiss meant something. I could tell. 

"Okay," she says, nodding. "If you say so. I just think that you should be careful, though. As I said, he is still with Ava."

"It might be complicated, but we're working things out," I tell her, trying to believe it myself. What if Natalie is right?

"I see," Natalie says, thinking for a moment. "Well, you might be right. It may work out. I just think that you should be prepared for when it doesn't work out."

"Thank you, Natalie," I say, trying to wrap up the conversation. I know that she means well, but I finally have some hope, and I don't want her to burst my bubble. 

"Still, I'm happy for you," she adds, smiling encouragingly at me. "I know that you've wanted this for a while." 

"I have," I tell her, nodding. "I really have.