Chapter 91

Author Note: this is another split POV chapter! hope you enjoy! 

CONNOR'S POV:

I follow Ms Goodwin to her office, still unsure about what I'm doing. Tessa will be furious when she finds out, but she's already mad at me, so what will it matter? 

"So," Ms Goodwin says. "Take a seat. What do you want to talk to me about?" 

I sit down opposite her, and take a breath. "I've been thinking about this case, with Howard," I say. 

"Right," she nods, listening intently. "Go on." 

"Tessa and I are working together, and I just don't know if that's the best thing...professionally, I mean...given our...relationship?" I say, awkwardly. 

"You want to have her taken off the case?" Ms Goodwin asks, her eyebrows raising slightly. "But you were so eager for her to join you, before." 

"Circumstances change," I say, sighing. "It's not that I want to have her taken off, but...it's complicated. I know Howard, he's an old family friend...and well, not that this is exactly important...I used to know his daughter...well, and...uh...you see..." I trail off, not sure what I'm really saying. 

"Is there something else going on, with you and Dr Miller?" Ms Goodwin asks me, gently. "Whatever you say in here will be confidential. It won't be repeated outside of this room, so if there's something going on, that you think will affect your ability to work with Dr Miller and this patient, I think you should let me know."

"Don't take her off the case," I say, quickly. "Or maybe...do. I don't know. Howard...he's not exactly the most...agreeable person, and, well, he has some sort of...issue with Tessa, I think...I don't know." 

"And that's the only problem here?" Ms Goodwin asks me. "I don't want to intrude into your private affairs, of course, but it seemed to me, when I just saw the two of you in the hallway there, that you were in the middle of some sort of...disagreement?" 

"It wasn't important," I tell her. "It was just over that pillow, really, it was nothing." 

"I would never normally listen to...talk, but there has been a significant amount of...gossip about the two of you. I couldn't help but hear things," Ms Goodwin tells me, her voice calm. 

"People talk all the time," I say, sighing. "That doesn't mean it's true. Tessa and I are...fine. We're doing fine. Forget I mentioned this." 

"If you want," Ms Goodwin says, nodding. "I'll forget about it." 

"Thank you," I say, getting up to leave. "I should probably get back to Howard." 

"You should," she agrees, nodding. "It's almost time for his heart surgery." 

"It is," I say. "I should probably get everything ready. Thank you, Ms Goodwin," I tell her, as I walk out of the door. I just want to get out of there and escape the tension. 

I still feel uneasy about everything. As much as I want to be professional, and work with Tessa, I have to admit that she isn't exactly making it easy. Perhaps it would be better for everyone if we didn't work together? 

TESSA'S POV: 

I walk down the hallway, aiming to find Connor, although I'm almost certain that I know where he is. 

In Ms Goodwin's office, most likely discussing the situation that we're in. 

Just as I'm about to give up searching for him, he comes around the corner, walking strangely fast. 

"Tessa," he says, breathlessly. He looks confused, as though he wasn't expecting to see me. "What are you doing? Did something happen with Howard?" 

"He has some questions," I say, keeping my face neutral. "Where did you go, with Ms Goodwin?" 

"It doesn't matter," he says. "Anyway, what were you saying about questions? Couldn't you answer them?" 

"I probably could," I tell him, shrugging. "But Howard specifically wanted to ask you. I don't think he likes me much." 

"It isn't personal," Connor reassures me. "Trust me. With Howard, he's just like that." 

"Well, you should probably get in there," I say, in a bored voice. "You don't want to keep him waiting, do you?" 

"Okay," he says, starting to walk in the direction of Howard's room. "Are you coming?" he asks me, confused. 

"Oh, right...you want me to come?" I say, in a surprised voice. "I didn't realise." 

"Why wouldn't I?" Connor asks. "We're working together, and we're sharing this patient. It only makes sense." 

"Right, it's just that yesterday, you didn't even want to look at me," I remark. 

I feel embarrassed to be bringing it up again, but it's at the front of my mind. I can tell how much it's frustrating him, and I hate that, but I can't stop myself from bringing it up until it's too late. 

Connor takes a deep breath, and sighs. "Tessa," he says. "I don't know what you're trying to do, if you're trying to get on my nerves or piss me off, or something like that? I thought we agreed to keep it professional?" 

"You're right, we did," I say, nodding. "I'm sorry. Let's just get in there." 

"Okay," Connor says, leading the way. We walk into Howard's room. His face lights up slightly at the sight of Connor, but his smile drops when I come into the room behind him. 

"Howard, I hear you have a few questions about the surgery," Connor says, smiling. I can tell that his smile is false. 

"I see it now, the two of you," Howard says, laughing. I have to say that this man does an abnormal amount of laughing for one person, especially since he doesn't seem like a very happy person. 

"I...don't understand..." Connor says, uneasily. I realise now that he must have somehow let it slip to Howard about us. 

"The two of you," Howard says, confidently. "I can't believe how far you've come, I really can't. I mean, I remember when you were tiny...and you wanted to marry your...dog, wasn't it?" Howard laughs, again, at this. 

His dog? I have to admit that's funny. I almost feel like I have to hold in the laugh. 

I look over at Connor. The tip of his nose is going pink again, a sign of his embarrassment. 

This is hilarious, I can't believe I didn't know that before now. No wonder he's embarrassed.