Chapter 17

I'm standing nervously in the doorway of the bar. Someone opens the door behind me, and so I walk further in. I see Ava, Connor and several other people sitting down, laughing. As I watch them, Connor and I make eye contact. He makes a small movement with his hand, gesturing for me to come over to them. 

Taking a deep breath, I walk over to where they're sitting. "Hi," I say, trying not to sound as nervous as I feel right now. "Happy birthday, Ava," I say smiling at her. It's all I could think of to say.

Ava looks at me and doesn't say anything. For a split second, it looks as though he's glaring at me, until Connor puts a hand on her knee. She looks at him and then back at me. "Thank you," she says sweetly, although I can tell that she's faking it. 

I sit down next to Maggie, who gives me another sympathetic look. She knows exactly how I'm feeling right now. She understands it.

"So," Will says, breaking the silence. "Ava, there's a gift on the table that you haven't opened yet. Who's that from?" 

"It's from me, actually," Connor says. "A little something, just for you. I think you'll love it." He is smiling as she takes the gift. 

Slowly she unwraps it and opens the box. I see the expression on her face before I see the actual gift, and she is happy. In fact, she looks happier than I've seen her.

She holds up the gift to the table, showing everyone. It's a small bottle of perfume. 

Wow. He got her perfume. Just like he got me for my birthday. Yes, it's a completely different bottle and brand, but it's still perfume. Is that what he gets for every single one of his current girlfriends? 

"I love it," Ava says, leaning over to kiss Connor. I force myself to watch it happen, as looking away would be too obvious. 

"I know that you love that perfume," Connor tells her. "It's the one you always wear. It smells amazing."

"Thank you so much," Ava says, smiling. "Really, thank you. This is the best gift. I love it."

Connor just smiles. I try not to look at him. I notice that most people have finished their drinks, and I don't even have a drink in front of me.

"Should we get someone to give us a refill?" I ask, suggesting it to everyone. "I could go up to the bar and get the next round." 

"Really?" Ava asks, with her false tone. "You'd do that for us? Tessa, you're too kind. That would be amazing."

"Okay," I say, through gritted teeth. "You've got it. I'll just get everyone what they usually have, is that good?" 

Everyone nods, and so I walk over towards the bar and order the drinks. The bartender looks at me, confused. "I swear I know you from somewhere," he says to me. 

"I don't know where from," I say. "It could be anywhere. I've lived in both New York and Chicago, and I've also done a lot of travelling." 

"No, I recognise you from in here. You used to come in here all the time, with that group of doctors, and then you just stopped. Now you're back again," he says, while making the drinks.

"Yeah, I moved back to New York for a job," I tell him. "But yes, that was me. I used to always come in here with them, and I probably will be doing that again now."

"You were quite a drama queen, if you don't mind me saying so," the bartender remarks. "You and that surgeon. You were together, right? The two of you would be having your little moments, and your arguments in here."

"You noticed all of that?" I ask him, feeling slightly embarrassed. I didn't realise that anyone else took any notice of me.

"I did," he says, nodding. "And so much more. I was quite invested in your little love triangle. I was the bartender on the night when you kissed the scruffy red one. I bet that didn't go down well with the surgeon." 

"No, it didn't," I say, shaking my head. "It really didn't. Wow, I can't believe that you know all of this." 

"After you left, the surgeon was quite...distraught. He used to come in here, alone, and sit at the bar, just staring. He didn't smile, didn't talk to anyone. Just sat and drank. I felt sorry for him, actually. He always looked quite sad," the bartender tells me. 

"Yeah," I say, sighing. "He was going to ask me to marry him, but he never got the chance. It's very complicated."

"And now, he's with the blonde one," the bartender says. "And as a bartender, I'm very good at reading people. I know that you're not too happy about it."

"I still have feelings for him," I admit, because it feels nice to tell a total strange that. "I still do, and he knows because I let it slip out. He wants us to just be friends, but I don't know if I can manage that."

"Who says you have to?" the bartender asks, smiling. "Just after you left, when the surgeon was coming in here, all sad, I don't think I've ever seen someone heartbroken like that. He looked distraught. I think that he still has feelings for you. As I said, I'm a bartender, and I know how to read people."

"That's what my friend, Maggie says," I tell him. "Maggie says that I still have a chance, but I honestly don't know." 

"Is Maggie the bossy one?" the bartender asks. "You know, you could send her over here to buy the next round. I've always wanted to give her my number, and...you know." 

I nod, smiling. "Okay," I say. "Yeah, I can do that. I'll send her over. In fact, she's completely single, so you might even have a chance." 

The bartender laughs. "I hope," he says, as I collect the drinks, carefully carrying them back to the table. 

A lot of people have told me that Connor still has feelings for me. Are they right?