Chapter 77

I am woken up by the irritating beeping of my alarm. Slowly, I sit up and rub my eyes. I can't believe it's already morning. 

It takes a moment, but I eventually remember the events of last night. Connor said he would only be an hour, or two, but I look to my side, and don't see him. 

I walk into the kitchen, expecting to find him, or at least a sign that he has been there, like a freshly made coffee, or his coat being back on the rack. 

But there's no coffee, and both his coat and shoes are gone. That means he probably hasn't been back here. So much for one hour, two at most. It seems that he's been gone for the entire night. 

I take my phone from the its position on top of the kitchen counter and unlock it. Thankfully, there is a notification from Connor. I open it, and read what it says. Hopefully, it offers an explanation for the fact that he still hasn't come back, despite saying that he wouldn't be gone for long. 

The text message doesn't give any details, or an explanation. Instead, he apologises for not being back, and tells me that he'll tell me what's going on later. Later? What does that even mean? 

Still, I suppose I am used to this, although it never has been quite so strange before. I can't let the uneasy feeling stop me from getting on with the rest of my day.

... 

AT THE HOSPITAL: 

I walk into the hospital, trying to clear my head of my doubts. There has to be a reasonable explanation for all of this, and it will come. For now, I just need to focus on working. 

I am given a patient to see, with a worsening condition. I make the decision that she needs to go up to the OR immediately and go into surgery. 

As the nurses are transporting the patient up to the OR, I see Natalie and ask her to join us. I could use her medical opinion on this. Also, I could use her personal opinion on what's going on with Connor, too. 

"Hi," she says, smiling. "Are you taking this patient up to the OR?" When I nod, she says "Good choice. She needs surgery." 

"I know," I say. "Actually, I could use your opinion on something quickly." I look back at the patient. "The nurses have got it, we can follow them up." 

"Okay," Natalie says, shrugging. "What's going on? I feel like we haven't properly caught up with each other in a while." 

The doors to the elevator open, and we step in, pressing the button for the OR. As we ascend, I start telling Natalie about the situation, all of it. Even the phone call that I listened to secretly, hiding behind the door. I tell her about all of it, even my doubts and worries. I can't help but assume the worst, especially since I don't know what else to assume. He didn't exactly give me an alternative. 

Natalie nods, listening intently. I'm not finished with my lengthy explanation, when the elevator doors open again, and we have to step out and follow the patient and nurses to the OR. 

Just as we're turning the corner, Natalie grabs my arm and stops me. "Look," she says, in a low voice. I look in the direction that she's pointing, and that's when I see it. 

It's Connor and Ava, walking alongside each other. At first, it seems innocent, but they stop and turn to face each other. "You okay?" I watch him place a hand on her shoulder as he asks her, as she nods. "Okay," he says, as they part ways.  

I look back at Natalie, as if to question what I've just seen. Am I overthinking about this too? Maybe it was a simple exchange between two surgeons who work together. 

"I saw it too," she confirms, nodding slowly. "It may not mean anything. It could just be a conversation between co-workers." 

"They weren't wearing their scrubs," I remark, sighing. "Ava was still carrying her bag. It looks to me like they came in together." 

In fact, it looks exactly like that. He's still wearing the same coat that he left the apartment in. It's like he isn't even trying to hide it, whatever it is. I don't even know what to think. 

"That's a fair point," Natalie says, nodding. "But you shouldn't jump to conclusions, not yet. Wait for him to explain it. There may be a reason for it." 

I nod, agreeing with her. She's right, there could be a perfectly reasonable explanation for everything, and I'm just overreacting. I really hope there is an explanation for it all. 

"Tessa," Natalie hisses, elbowing me gently in the ribs. "Tessa, he's looking. He's coming over." 

I look at Connor, and she's right. He can see us, and is walking over. I can't read the expression on his face, but I don't think it's one of guilt. 

"Tessa," he says, a small smile crossing his face. "I didn't expect you to be up here. Hi, Natalie." 

"I should check on the patient that just went into the OR," Natalie says, making an excuse to leave. 

"So..." I say, waiting for an explanation. I'm having even more doubts now. I don't know what he's going to say about it. 

"You saw Ava, didn't you?" he asks me, sighing. "We were talking." 

"Did you go and see her last night?" I ask, trying not to sound too accusatory. Still, I'm fairly sure that's what happened. 

"Yes," he admits, nodding. "But I swear to you, it isn't what you think. She called me late last night, she was going through something really...serious." 

"Serious?" I repeat, confused. "What do you mean by that? What was it that she had to call you, in the middle of the night, at 2am?" 

"I know, I know how it sounds," he says, sighing. "At first, I didn't understand why she was calling, but Tessa, she's going through something right now." 

"Like what?" I ask, determined to get to the bottom of this whole mess.