Chapter 49

"So, the pause?" I ask him, wanting to deal with the problem on hand. "What's happening with us. Are we still..."

"Is that what you want?" he asks me. "Do you need time, to work everything out?" 

"I don't want a pause,"  I tell him, decidedly. "I never wanted that." 

"What about the...emotional barrier, as you put it?" he asks me. "That seemed like quite a big deal for you." 

"I can work on that," I tell him, quickly. "Really, I was just making a mountain out of a molehill." 

"Are you sure?" he asks, with a familiar concerned look on his face. "Because if you need time, I can-"

I cut him off. "No," I say. "I really don't need time. I'm all good." 

"Good," he says, smiling again. "That's good. So, we're good?" He looks at me expectantly. 

"As long as you aren't mad at me," I say. "After all, I did just blow everything out of proportion." 

"No," he says, softly. "Tessa, I'm not mad at you. I'm not." 

"Even though I completely just ran away from you?" I ask him. "That was quite dramatic of me. I didn't need to do that." 

"It's fine," he says, smiling. "I know you well enough by now, Tessa. Don't worry about it." 

"Okay," I say, sighing. "Well, thank you. And it's true. You do know me, better than almost anyone." 

"And you know me better than everyone," Connor says, nodding. 

"Even Ava?" I ask him, half-joking. I raise my eyebrows, daring him to answer the question. 

"Am I dating Ava right now?" Connor asks me, smiling. He takes a step closer to me, a sign that our earlier dispute is forgiven. 

"No..." I say, slowly. He looks at me pointedly. I know what he's going to say next. 

"There's your answer," he says, smiling. "So, we're good. We can stop being the latest drama of the hospital and get back to our normal lives?" 

"Yes, we're all good," I tell him, smiling. "And it's fine. I don't think anyone saw this happen. We're in quite a secluded part of the hospital. No one has even walked past us yet." 

"Then let's get back," Connor suggests. "I have a surgery soon. It's an important one. I imagine that you have patients to see, too. The ED must be missing you." 

"Probably," I say, although the day has been quite slow so far. "Well, this is it. We resolved the issue." 

"We did," he agrees. "So, I'll see you after the shift is over? Normal place, at the doctor's lounge?" 

"Yes, normal place," I say, smiling. "Okay, you should get back to the OR. You need to prepare for that important surgery." 

"See you later," Connor says, as he walks away, back to the OR. "Don't be late." 

"As if I'd be late!" I retort, laughing. Finally, we've reached an equilibrium. We're back to normal. 

I walk back up the corridor, slowly this time. I don't need to rush. Everything was sorted out, and I couldn't be more relieved.