Chapter 82

"Tessa, I want you to be honest with me, always," Connor says, as he places his hands on my shoulders. "I can't believe you thought all of that, and I didn't know." 

"I was overreacting," I say, looking into his eyes. "I came on a bit strong, even for me. I just let a thread unravel, I guess." 

"Tessa..." he sighs, wrapping his arms around me, and kissing the top of my head. "You don't have to apologise." 

Before I can say anything, I hear a door slam loudly, that startles me. The noise breaks up our strange embrace in the middle of the hallway, for potentially anyone to witness. 

"What was that?" I ask, looking around. At the end of the hallway, I see where the sound came from. Surprise, surprise, it's Ava. 

Connor looks around too, seeing what I'm seeing. "Oh no," he says, looking back at me. "Tessa, I...I have to go and talk to her." 

"You do?" I ask, not wanting the moment to end, and definitely not wanting Ava to be the reason it ends. "Can't it be someone else?" 

"It has to be me," he sighs. "She wouldn't tell anyone else. Stay right there, okay. I'm coming back."  

"Is that the same coming back as last night, when you were gone for 5 hours?" I tease, smiling. 

"Very funny, and I'm sorry about that," he says, already backing away. "I really will be back soon, though. Stay there, and we can talk." 

"I don't know about you, but I actually have a patient in the OR and probably an entire waiting room of patients downstairs that I need to see. I think that I should go and deal with that," I say, smiling. 

"Okay, we can talk more later," Connor tells me. "I have to go, I'm sorry. I have to talk to her." 

"It's fine," I say, nodding. I have to at least pretend to understand and pretend to be fine with it. Sometimes, you just have to learn to accept things. This situation is one of them." 

I watch as Connor rushes down the hallway, calling her name repeatedly. Something tells me that I'm just going to have to get over it. She will always be a part of his life, whether I like it or not. It's better that I start to learn to like it. 

Just as I'm turning to leave, I see Natalie again, walking towards me. She has a sympathetic look on her face. "So, I take it that things didn't go so well between you two?"  

"What? No, things went fine. Great, actually. We sorted everything out," I tell her, nodding. 

"Really?" she asks me, looking confused. "Wow, I wouldn't have guessed it from the face that you're pulling right now. You still seem all...deflated, somehow." 

"He left me to go running after Ava," I say, immediately regretting it. I was meant to keep my feelings about that to myself.  

"Running after her?" Natalie asks, confused. "What do you mean by that?"  

"I literally mean, he ran after her, because she slammed a door and then walked away, and I don't really get it, but it's something to do with what I was telling you earlier." 

"And you said that you sorted everything out?" Natalie asks me, raising an eyebrow. It seems like she doesn't believe me. 

"We did," I confirm, nodding. "I told him everything, and we talked it out. We're all good now. There aren't any more secrets, or anything like that." 

"Right," Natalie says, sighing. "But then he left that conversation to go and run after his ex." 

I know what she's thinking, but it's different. The circumstances were different. It wasn't like that, at all. "It's not like that," I tell her, shaking my head. "He was doing it because...because she's a co-worker. They work together." 

"Sure, okay," Natalie says, shrugging. "I was just checking. By the way, I just came to tell you that the patient is doing well. I just saw her, and the surgery is going fine." 

"That's good," I say. I know it may sound unprofessional, but the surgery is the last thing on my mind right now. "I'm glad to hear that." 

"You're preoccupied, aren't you," Natalie asks, tapping my arm. "You're staring off into the distance again, clearly over-analysing this whole thing." 

"You know me well," I say, laughing quietly. "I'm not thinking about it. I don't want to be one of those weird, jealous girlfriends. I hate those people. I don't want to turn into one." 

"Relax, you're not," Natalie reassures me, smiling. "You're definitely not a jealous girlfriend. Actually, you're being quite calm, given the situation." 

"If you say so," I shrug. "Although it seems to me like I'm just creating problems all over the place." 

"And that's how I know that you're not one of those jealous girlfriend types," Natalie tells me. "Those people don't know when they're the problem." 

"Thanks," I say, smiling at her. "That made me feel better, at least. Come on, let's get back down to the ED. Maggie is going to be furious that we've taken so long up here. You know how she feels about wasting time." 

"Oh, trust me, I know," Natalie says, as we both laugh. "Yeah you're right. We should get back down there. I'm sure that we both have a lot of patients to see." 

"We probably do," I agree, nodding. "Let's go." 

"And you should forget all about the whole Ava thing for the time being, okay?" Natalie tells me, firmly. "You don't need to dwell on it. Don't let it distract you." 

"It's fine, I won't," I tell her, although that isn't completely true. I can't help but think about it. I still don't know what to think. 

I know that I have to learn to be okay with this new dynamic between Connor and Ava, because it looks like it wasn't a one off occurrence. 

In fact, it looks like it may be permanent.