Chapter 79

Author Note: I won't be doing a split POV for all of the chapters, just these next few chapters to help show both perspectives in a better way. Hope you enjoy it! 

Tessa's POV: 

"Fine," I say, sighing. I've accepted that he isn't going to willingly tell me what actually happened. "If you won't tell me then I'll just have to find out for myself." 

"What do you mean?" he asks, looking more worried now. "Find out for yourself? What are you going to do?" 

"I'm going to ask her," I say, bluffing. I have no intention of going anywhere near Ava, but I want him to think that I am. If it all goes to plan, he'll tell me himself. 

"What?" he seems shocked, and looks guiltier than ever. "No, Tessa, wait." I've got his attention now. 

I start to walk away slowly, making out that I'm going to find Ava. I know that he won't want me to do that. "I'm going to ask her right now," I tell him, lying. 

"No, no, no, Tessa, stop, wait," he says, and so I stop and turn around. He's finally going to tell me what happened between him and Ava.

"What?" I ask, shrugging. "I want to know what happened between you, and you're clearly not telling me, so I'm going to ask someone who I know will be more than happy to share." 

I watch as the expression on Connor's face changes. He knows that he's been caught out. He has to tell me now. 

"You don't have to ask Ava about it," he says, sighing. "Okay, I'll tell you what happened, but you have to let me talk, and you can't get mad at Ava. She didn't mean to do what she did." 

"Okay, but what did she do?" I ask, prompting him to tell me. He's making it sound like it's something really serious. I have to know now. 

"So, she called me, and I went over to her place," Connor begins. "We talked, for a long time, and that's all I was planning to do. She just needed a friend." 

"Right," I say, raising an eyebrow. "I already know this. I want you to tell me what actually happened, after all of that."

"I know, I'm going to tell you," he sighs. "So, about halfway through, she...well, she tried to kiss me." 

"She tried to...what?" I ask, in disbelief. I knew it was going to be something like this, but it's still shocking to actually hear that it happened. 

"There's more," he says, sighing. "I turned away, of course. I didn't engage with her, Tessa, I swear. I didn't do anything." 

"You said there's more," I remind him, ignoring the second part. "So tell me what else happened. What's the other part?" 

"If I tell you, you can't just start walking away and cause a scene, especially not with Ava," he tells me. "She's going through a lot right now, and she doesn't need this as well." 

"I wouldn't start walking away," I say, although I suppose I have done that a few times before. 

"Okay," he says, nodding. "Then I'll tell you what happened. I have to warn you though, I don't think you're going to like it." 

"Just tell me," I say, exasperated. I have to know what happened, the full story. 

Connor's POV: 

"Okay," I say, nodding. "After I turned her down, she told me that the only reason I was doing that was because I was still with you." I take a breath before saying the last part. "And she tried to convince me to leave you and get back with her." 

"And what did you say?" Tessa asks, a look of disbelief on her face. She's clearly shocked by what I told her. I did say that she wasn't going to like it. 

"I said no, Tessa, come on," I say, sighing. "Of course I said no. Do you really think that I would do that to you?" 

"So , you turned her down completely?" Tessa asks, not seeming angry anymore. In fact, she seems a lot quieter. 

"Yes, I did," I say, reassuring her. "She knows that I'm not going to leave you, and I don't think she was really in the right frame of mind when she said it. I don't think that she fully meant to say it." 

"I can't believe it," she says. "I mean, I knew Ava was still obsessed with you, but this? Seriously? This is low." 

"No," I say, shaking my head. She doesn't get it. "It's not low. She's going through something huge right now." 

"Something that you can't tell me about, for some strange reason," Tessa says, interrupting me. 

"That's complicated," I tell her. "It's not that I don't want to tell you, but it's not something that Ava would want anyone to know." 

"You're protecting her now, are you?" she asks me, folding her arms. "I see." 

"No," I say, sighing. This is exactly why I didn't tell her what happened. "It's just that she trusted me with it, and I really don't think she'd want me to tell anyone, even you." 

"Why didn't you leave after she tried to kiss you?" Tessa asks. That was the one question that I was hoping she wouldn't think of. 

"She needed a friend, and I really don't think she was completely serious about the kiss, or any of the other stuff." My response is pathetic and I know that. Tessa is right. I should have left as soon as she tried to kiss me. 

"Wow," she says, sighing. "So you stayed because she needed a friend? She has other friends, friends that aren't her ex who she clearly still wants to get back with."

"I know, I should have left," I say, agreeing with her. "I'm sorry, but nothing happened. I'm telling you the whole story now. I turned her down." 

"Tell me something," Tessa says, raising an eyebrow. "Would you have kissed her, and got back with her if you weren't with me?" 

"Tessa, you can't seriously expect me to answer that," I say. "It's an impossible question. I don't know what I would do. You can't ask me to answer something like that."