Chapter 51

I walk into the hospital, with one main thought in my mind. I have to find Connor. I make a beeline for Maggie, who I'm certain will know where he is. She knows everything that goes on in this hospital. 

"Maggie," I say, walking over to her. "Do you know what's going on with Connor's surgery?" 

She looks confused. "What do you mean?" she asks. "What surgery are you talking about?"

"That emergency one that he was called in to do last night?" I tell her, less sure of myself now.  Maggie's confusion isn't reassuring. 

"That?" she asks, raising an eyebrow. "That ended hours ago. Like, a really long time ago. It was a really short surgery, the patient survived."

"Did you see him leave the hospital?" I ask her, even more confused now. Where else would Connor go after his surgery other than back to his own apartment, where he lives? 

"Yeah, he left pretty soon after the surgery was over," she tells me. "Why? Didn't he go back to the apartment?" 

"No," I admit, sighing. "I waited for a while, and he wasn't there this morning. I don't think he ever came back. His coat wasn't on the door, or his shoes." 

"Well, I can confirm that he left," Maggie says. "I saw him. If it helps, he seemed like he was in quite a rush to go." 

"Did you see him drive away?" I ask, remembering that I hadn't seen his car back at the apartment. 

"No," Maggie tells me. "But I was in here. Still, it's worth checking the parking lot. His car might be there." 

"Good idea," I say. "I'll go out and check. Have my first patient ready for me when I get back." 

"You know, I really shouldn't let you get away with having this much personal time," Maggie jokes, smiling at me.

"See you soon!" I call back behind me, as I rush out to the parking lot. 

As soon as I reach the parking lot, I scan all of the cars, looking for the familiarity of Connor's car. He has a parking space that he almost always uses, so I check there.

To my surprise, the car is there. It doesn't look as though it moved all night. I walk up to it slowly, trying to look in the windows. 

I walk closer to one of the back windows, thinking I see something in there. The windows are misted up, so I have to squint to see it. 

There, lying on the back seats is a dark shape. It looks like a person. I'm almost certain I know who it is. 

I knock sharply on the window, startling the person awake. He looks up at me, and quickly opens the door. 

That's when I see his face. It's exactly who I thought. It's Connor. He looks up at me guiltily. 

I am speechless. I don't know what to say about this. He fell asleep in his car. How did he fall asleep in his car? 

I look down at him, waiting for some explanation.