Chapter 64

I'm still here in the waiting room, and Connor only just went in to see his father. 

I am telling Maggie all of the details of the beautiful restaurant, while I wait. I have no idea how long it will be. 

"No way! He bought out the entire restaurant?" she gasps, unable to believe it. "That's crazy! I can't believe he actually did that!" 

"I know," I say, nodding. "Whatever you said to him to make him change his mind, thank you. It was amazing." 

Maggie is about to say something, when Connor appears from around the corner. He looks annoyed.

"We can go now," he says, sighing. "Thanks, Maggie." 

I look at him, confused. His father just got out of surgery. Now he wants to leave? It doesn't make any sense at all. 

"What?" I ask, making sure that I heard correctly. "You want to leave, as in leave the hospital?" 

"Yes, I mean leave," he tells me, a slight impatient tone in his voice. "Let's go." 

"Oh...okay," I say. He has already begun to walk away. I look at Maggie apologetically and she shrugs. 

"Go with him," she says. "I'll find out from one of the nurses what went down in there." 

So I do go, and I hurriedly follow Connor out of the hospital. 

"What happened?" I ask him, as we reach his car. He doesn't answer at first, so I try again. "What happened in there?" 

"Nothing," he says, angrily. "Let's just go home, okay." He starts to drive, quickly. In fact, almost too fast for my liking. 

"Wait," I say, still trying to find out more information. "Did something happen with your father? What did he say to you?" 

"Tessa, I don't want to talk about this right now," he sighs. "Just...don't say anything about it right now." 

"Okay," I say, nodding. "But just tell me, did something happen in there?" 

I instantly regret adding that last part. He clearly told me that he didn't want to talk about it. 

Connor doesn't answer me, but instead turns the volume up to full on the radio, so that the music would drown out any more questions from me. This is going to be an awkward car ride. 

... 

As we get back to the apartment building, we walk in silence, until Connor opens the door to our apartment, and walks in, not even remembering to hold it open for me. It's clear that something is on his mind. 

"Do you want to talk about it?" I offer, following him as he fills up a glass of water in the kitchen. 

"No," he says, shortly. "I don't. Not now, not today, probably not at all. Can you just drop it?" 

"Okay," I say, nodding. "I'm sorry. But if you want to talk about it, then we can." 

"Thanks," he says, in a voice that makes it clear that he isn't very thankful at all. "I just don't want to think about it right now." 

"Okay," I say, as he walks away.