Chapter 99

Author Note: this is the penultimate chapter, as this will be finishing very very soon! i really hope that i can write a very emotional ending for you all, as i have big big plans for what i want the ending to be like! as always, i hope you enjoy reading this! 

I feel frozen in time, no idea how long this mysterious phone call has gone on for. If I strain, I can almost hear Connor yelling, at something, someone, I don't know anymore. 

Eventually, after the longest time, he emerges from the bedroom, an annoyed look on his face. "Tessa, I-" he starts, but doesn't continue. 

"What?" I ask, sharply. I want an explanation for what's going on. All of it, the past few weeks. I want him to tell me all of it. 

"This isn't how it was all meant to turn out..." he says, quickly. "There was a delay, but soon..." He takes a deep breath. "I didn't expect this to..." 

"Didn't expect it to what?" I ask. "I'm so tired of this. You don't think that I haven't noticed what's been going on? Do you think I am totally oblivious to everything? Really?" 

Connor looks at me blankly, not saying a word. The expression on his face doesn't even shift, almost as if my words haven't even reached him properly, almost as if he hasn't understood what I'm trying to say.

"Are you not going to say anything?" I ask him, raising my voice now. The walls are thin here, and so the neighbours can probably hear me, but that's almost the last thing on my mind right now.

"No, it's not-" he starts, but I turn away. What excuse could he possibly have for all of this, all of these lies and secrets? He must think I'm stupid to not notice anything. 

"Really?" I ask, angrily. "Because it seems like I've uncovered exactly what you're trying to do here, sneak around! How do you think I haven't noticed? Did you really think that I would eventually see that something wasn't right about all of this?" 

"There's an explanation," he says, standing up. "Tessa, Tessa, listen to me. Don't-" he says, as I start to walk away from him. 

"I already know," I say, coldly. "How could I not know? I saw everything, all of the emails. Yes, I saw those." 

This stops Connor in his tracks now. "You took my phone?" he asks, confused. "Seriously, Tessa? You looked at my emails? What the hell?" 

"Oh, you're getting angry at me?" I ask, furiously. "No, you don't get to do that. You don't get to turn the situation around and be mad at me, that's not how this thing works." 

"Why would you do that?" Connor asks me, still in disbelief. "When was this? What did you even see?" 

"It was a few days ago, when you were showering," I tell him, shrugging. "And I'm glad I saw the emails, because it all suddenly got a lot clearer from there." 

"What got a lot clearer?" Connor asks, strangely calm, as if he's trying to rationalise this whole situation. "Tessa, what are you talking about?" 

 "The secret phone calls that you had to leave the room to take, the phone call that you had to take right now! It all makes sense now," I say, bitterly. 

"You're not acting like yourself, Tessa," Connor says, still in an oddly calm tone of voice. "You're being paranoid." 

"Don't do that to me!" I say, firmly. "Don't tell me that I'm being paranoid, when I can see it all so clearly in front of me. You weren't exactly being discreet with it all, were you?"  

"Tessa," he says, moving towards me. "Take a breath, you're not...you're not-" 

"What? Thinking straight?" I ask him. "You know what, I'm done with all of this. I'm leaving." 

I have no idea what I'm doing, or why I just said that, but I have to follow through with my outburst. I start to walk towards the door, fully intending to leave. 

"Tessa, wait, wait," Connor says, following me. "You can't be serious right now. I think you should stay in here, and we can talk, I'll explain all of this, just stay in here." He almost sounds desperate, which is what finalises my decision. 

Without thinking too much about what I'm doing, I open the door and leave. Of course, I have no idea what I'm going to do or where I'm going to go, but at least I walked out. 

I start to leave the apartment building, when I hear Connor's footsteps behind me, sounding like he is rushing behind me. I don't turn around. 

"Tessa, stop," I can hear him saying behind me. "Come back inside, let's just talk about it." 

I ignore him, and just keep walking, out of the apartment building, and into the parking lot, towards my car. I notice that he is still following behind me. 

"Go back inside," I tell him, coldly. "I'm done here. I mean it this time. I'm really done." 

"Tessa, please just talk to me about this," Connor asks me. "Why are you doing all of this?" 

"You want me to talk to you?" I ask him, angrily. "Really? Why would I wait to talk to the person who is sneaking behind my back, with secret phone calls, lies, cheating." 

"Tessa, what the hell?" Connor bursts out, angrily. "Why would you think that? What is going on with you? You're acting far too paranoid!" 

"Oh, that's so typical!" I say, sighing. "Put all of the blame on me, call me the paranoid one, of course. I saw the emails, Connor. I heard the phone calls!" 

As Connor is about to respond, I hear a voice, coming from behind me. 

"I'm guessing this is a bad time," the voice says. 

I turn around to see who it is, and that's when I see it. A face that I know so well. 

No, no. It can't be. 

"Connor," I say, with a deep breath. "What the fuck is my sister doing here?"