Chapter 11

THIS CHAPTER WILL BE IN CONNOR'S POV AND IT JUMPS TO A FEW CHAPTERS BACK! 

"I will," Tessa says, walking into my bedroom to collect her box of things. I watch her leave, until Ava starts talking to me. 

"You're just letting her go in there?" she asks, confused. "That's our bedroom. Why did you just let her go in like that?" 

"Ava, it's not like she's a stranger," I say, reassuring her. "It's Tessa. She wouldn't do anything, and she knows exactly where it is. I trust her."

"I don't," Ava mutters, trying to be quiet, but I still pick it up. 

"Ava," I say, sighing. "Come on. I know that you and Tessa have a lot of history, but why don't you just try with her?" 

"Try?" Ava echoes in disbelief. "Really? Are you serious? She's manipulative, and not to mention a complete drama-starter, and so pathetic." 

"Ava, don't talk about her like that," I say, sighing. "I know you don't mean that. Tessa isn't like that."

"I know, I know, she's amazing," Ava says, rolling her eyes. "Yeah, I know. Back when you two were dating, you were practically joined at the hips...and the lips," she tells me. 

I smile at her joke. "I'm not dating Tessa, though," I say. "I'm dating you, and you're just as amazing." 

"You told me that nothing would change when Tessa came back," Ava says, looking at me. "But that's wrong, because it has changed. You're different." 

"Different, how?" I ask, confused. I didn't realise that I was acting differently. "What do you mean?" 

"I don't know," she says, irritably. "I guess, it's just the way you treat her. It's like you're still dating, sometimes. Like with the shooter. You stayed behind with Tessa. You didn't go with me, when I was in a lot more danger than she was, waiting by the car and doing absolutely nothing." 

"Ava," I say, sighing. I don't know how I'm going to explain this to her. "I love you, okay? I am dating you. You and only you. The reason that I stayed behind with Tessa is complicated, and I owe it to her to keep that to myself, but I swear that it was purely only as friends. I promise." 

"Really?" she asks, raising her eyebrow. "But clearly you trust her enough to just let her go into our bedroom, unsupervised. We don't know what she could be doing in there." 

"In our bedroom?" I ask, a smile lifting at the corners of my mouth. "She isn't doing anything, I'm sure of it. She's just getting the box, and then she'll leave." 

"And it's going to be just us again," Ava says, walking over to me. She rests her head on my chest, and I put my arm around her. 

"Yes," I say, nodding. "Just us." 

I wrap my arms around Ava, kissing the top of her head lightly. All I can think about is how I used to do that to Tessa. I know it's wrong to be thinking like that, and I love Ava, but seeing Tessa, walking back into my apartment, just as she walked out of it all that time ago, it just brought back some memories.

"Connor," Ava says, snapping me out of my thoughts immediately. "She's been in there a long time. What do you think she's doing?" 

"I don't know," I say, kissing her head again. "I'm sure it's nothing. Maybe she can't find the box. Don't worry about it." 

"I am worried," she says. "How do you trust her so much when she left you for a job? Someone who really loved you would never do that to you."

"It's complicated," I tell her, still trying to understand it all myself. "I told her to go, it all happened so fast, but it was right. I never would have met you, otherwise, would I?"

"I suppose not," she says, smiling. "I guess that I have Tessa to thank for something, at least." 

"Why don't you just try with her?" I ask, putting my hands on Ava's shoulders. "Tessa is my friend, and she's not what you think she is. You two could really benefit from a friendship. You're really similar."

"I'm similar to her?" Ava asks, offended. "Really? In my eyes, we have nothing in common. In fact, I think we're total opposites, actually." 

"I don't think you are," I say, knowingly. "Why don't you try and get to know her? It would mean a lot to me, but you don't have to. Just try." 

"Fine," Ava says, sighing, although she is smiling. "I'll try with her, but I don't think that you should be expecting major change. I'm only doing it because it means a lot to you." 

"That's all I ask," I say, smiling. "That's it. Just talk. You don't even have to be friends. Just have a conversation, one that isn't passive-aggressive, or even just aggressive." 

"Okay," Ava says, nodding. "Yes, I'll do that. When we go into work tomorrow, I'll talk to her, but I'm not promising that we'll get on. In fact, I think that we won't." 

"That's fine," I say, kissing her. "I just don't want the two of you to hate each other, okay?" 

"Sure, sure," Ava sighs, dismissively. "Hey, Tessa really has been a long time in there. I'm not just saying that. She has."

"You're right," I admit, because she has. I know that there's a reasonable explanation for it, but the last thing I need is for Ava to march into the bedroom and accuse Tessa of something wild. "I'll go and check on her," I say, trying to diffuse the situation. 

"Let's hope she's not stealing," Ava says, under her breath. I don't respond to it, so she thinks that I haven't heard, but I have. 

I open the door to the bedroom, to find Tessa sitting on the bed. She looks visibly sad, as she is sorting through the box of her things. I watch, as she takes an item and holds it close to her chest, closing her eyes as if to visualise the memory.

"Hey," I say, softly, walking into the room.