Chapter 20

CONNOR'S POV:

As I walk out of the doctor's lounge, I find myself feeling a lot better than before. I knew that it was the right thing to do, talking to Tessa. She has the best advice. 

I had almost forgotten how great it feels to be talking to her, having a proper conversation instead of just small talk. She has no idea how much I've missed her. How much I've missed seeing her face. 

I would never admit it to anyone, not even Ava, but I sometimes find myself daydreaming, thinking of the times that Tessa and I were together. How fun and carefree it all was. I love Ava, more than anything, but those memories that I share with Tessa will always hold a special place in my heart. 

As if she could read my mind, Ava walks up to me. "Connor," she says. "There you are. Dr Latham sent me to find you."

"Why?" I ask her. "What's going on? I don't have to go into surgery for a while." I look down at her, looking into her eyes. 

"He wants to ask you something, I don't know," Ava says, sighing. "I saw you in there, with Tessa. She was holding your hand."

"Ava, babe, come on," I say, shaking my head. "Look, you know it's not like that, don't you? She was being a friend. She was giving me advice."

"Was she really?" Ava asks, a hint of sarcasm to her voice. "It didn't look that way from out here. I mean, she had her hand on your shoulder, and you were sitting really close together. What am I supposed to think?" 

"Not that," I tell her. "Ava, you know me. You know that I wouldn't do that. I swear that she was just being friendly. She already knows that I'm off limits, okay? I spoke to her about it and she's all good. You have nothing to worry about." 

Ava sighs. "You gave her your sweatshirt last night," she says. "Will could have given her his, but you had to give her yours, didn't you?"

"Ava," I say, putting my hands on her shoulders. "Come on. You can't be serious. There's nothing going on between me and Tessa. We ended things a year ago, and that's it. I'm fully committed to you now. I love you, Ava." 

She nods, looking up at me. "I know that," she says. "But you loved her once, too. I just don't want you to start loving her again."

"Ava, I won't," I tell her, wrapping my arms around her. "I swear that I won't. Tessa and I are over, and that's it for us. It's me and you now. Don't worry about Tessa." 

"If you're sure," Ava says, leaning into my chest as I stroke her hair. "I just can't help it, when I see you two like that."

"I know," I say softly, resting my chin on the top of her head. "But you don't have to worry, okay? I'm all yours."

TESSA'S POV: 

"Tessa," Natalie says. "Tessa, have you even been listening to a word that I've been saying to you? You look really zoned out right now." 

"What?" I ask, snapping back into focus. "Ah, yes, sorry. No, I'm just tired, that's all. Sorry, go on. What were you saying?"

As Natalie starts speaking again, I go back to what I was really doing, watching Connor and Ava. It seems strange, but I want to see them, whether they're really as great as Ava says they are.

Right now, they're hugging, and Connor is kissing Ava on the head. It looks perfect, like a scene out of a romance movie. I look away, not wanting to see any more. 

"Tessa?" Natalie says again, looking at me with a worried expression on her face. "You zoned out again. Did you listen to me at all?"

"Yes, of course I listened to you," I say, lying. "I heard what you were saying, of course. I completely agree with you," I add, trying to make her believe that I was listening. 

"You agree that I should donate my kidney to the homeless person who begged me for it this morning?" Natalie asks, raising her eyebrow. "Just admit that you weren't listening, Tessa."

"Okay, okay," I say, sighing. "Sorry, I zoned out again. I'm sorry. I don't mean to. I do want to hear what you're saying."

"Right," Natalie says. "Don't think that I don't know what you're doing. You're watching Connor and Ava over my shoulder, aren't you?" 

I nod, sheepishly. "I am," I admit, my cheeks turning slightly red.

"How did I guess?" Natalie laughs. "Just as I thought that we were making progress with the whole sad ex-girlfriend thing. Now you're still pining after him?"

"I am," I sigh. "I'm sorry. I just can't help it. We can move, so that they can't distract me. What were you trying to tell me?" 

"I told you, didn't I?" she asks, raising her eyebrows. "Is memory loss also a symptom of heartbreak? A homeless man begged me for my kidney this morning as I was getting into my car. This is almost my seventh time repeating it." 

"Sorry, " I say. "Okay, in my opinion, don't give the homeless man your kidney. You might need your kidney in the future." 

"Gee, thanks, I really was having trouble working that one out," Natalie says, sarcastically. "Thank you for helping me with this very major, important life decision." 

I laugh at her joke. "I'm sorry!" I say, putting my hands up. "I'll listen this time, I swear. Look, I'm listening to you."

"I finished," Natalie tells me. "But I think that you should tell me something. How is it going with you and Connor. I saw you have your little moment in the doctor's lounge."

"Oh, that," I say, sighing. "It was nothing, really. I was being a friend to him. He needed some advice, so I gave it to him. That's all." 

I wish it hadn't just been advice. I wish it had been more. 

I always will.