Vol.15 Ch.11: Planning for the Long Game

『The enemy team selected Aquamancer.』

"Of course he would do that..." Cato smiled wryly. Well played Yuel, well played.

Aquamancer was a rather niche class in the competitive scene, but an extremely potent counter-pick against classes that had invulnerability effects like Vampire and Cryomancer. Yuel has picked it before against Taurus, so it didn't come as a big surprise that he picked it here again.

The real surprise was Stratus' other pick.

『The enemy team selected Elf.』

"My, what a peculiar pick," Cato said. "I vaguely recall Gunz playing Elf before, but it didn't leave much of an impression."

"He played Elf?" Matthew asked. "I don't remember that from the Taurus scrim."

"Really? I was sure he did." Cato frowned.

"It wasn't against Taurus," Sonya pointed out. "Gunz played Elf against our second-string last year."

"Oh yes, of course." Cato finally remembered. "As always, you have everything memorized. As expected from my secretary~"

"Who's your secretary?" Sonya made a face. "Anyway, that's the only record we have of Gunz playing Elf."

"So, remind me, was he any good with it? I don't seem to remember anything that stood out."

"It's not surprising that you don't remember," Sonya said. "His Elf didn't leave much of an impression. They must've just picked it as a defensive option against Jeniffer's combos."

"So, Gunz didn't pull any impressive stunts with that Elf?"

"No, not really. His mechanical skill was up to par as usual, but that's about it."

"Meaning, his Elf isn't much of a threat," Willaim concluded. When somebody like Gunz leaves a mediocre impression, it means he wasn't that good with the class. Hmph. What an odd pick, then.

"Interesting, very interesting," Cato said. "So, not only they have picked a very defensive class for their hyper-aggressive lineup, but it's also a class that Gunz doesn't seem particularly great with. Yeaaaaah, now these guys have officially lost me."

"Maybe he has powered up since then?" Ronald suggested. "Ya know, like doing some special training to become the No. 1 Elf player in the world!?"

"What kind of childish nonsense is that? This isn't a comic," Cato asserted. "But, you might be right. It's possible his Elf is much better than it used to be. Still, that doesn't change the fact it's a bizarre pick for a hyper-aggressive comp."

"Well, sounds like it's up to me to test him out," William summarized. "I'll find an opportunity to pressure him and check what his Elf is all about."

"I'll leave that to you then." Cato nodded. "So, Will, now that you know their entire lineup, which class would you like to go with?"

"Hey!" Ronald interjected. "What's with this bias? Why couldn't you ask me nicely like this when it was my turn to pick a class?"

"Oh, it's elementary, my boy. It's because I don't trust your judgment. Like, at all."

"Wha-!? Rude much? I object!"

"Good luck with that." Cato sidestepped the confrontation. "So, what do you think, Will? I think a defensive pick will do well here, considering their lineup."

"Hmm. Elf is pretty much the best as far as defensive Carries go, but..."

"True, but there are a few other options."