Vol.19 Ch.8: Tricky Serves

The score was already 2-0 thanks to Cornelia's powerful serves. However, the server herself wasn't quite pleased with the result.

Tch, I missed again. Cornelia clicked her tongue. I aimed at the real Landberht scion, not that fake servant. But, then again, I was thinking about "striking down the Landberhts" while serving, so maybe I was just too vague there.

"Ohoho!" Cornelia laughed it off. "Did you see that elegant shot, Karen? A plebian like you has no chance of ever receiving a noble serve like this, not in a million years!"

"Huh, keep yapping while you still can," Karen said. "We're gonna break your serve with the next one, just you watch!"

"Hmph. Bold words from somebody who has just failed to do exactly that. The next one will be even stronger! And, this time, it'll be directed at you, Fiona Landberht!"

"I hope so," Fiona responded nonchalantly. The threat didn't seem to register with her at all.

Grrr, such sheer calmness. Cornelia gritted her teeth. She's always like this, acting as if nothing can faze her. I must admit it grinds my gears! I shall shatter that maks of hers with the next one!

It was time for the third serve. Once again, Cornelia methodically tossed the ball into the air, and then dashed forth and leapt toward the ball. Naturally, all the while she was maintaining an elegant and noble form.

WHAM! She hit the ball with all her might! The sheer loudness of the strike was enough to make commoners tremble. In the fact of this supreme might, they had no choice but to respect the heir of the von Galen house!

Except, the ball didn't fly far enough this time. It crashed straight into the net, like a car driving into a wall.

Thump. Thump. Thump. The ball jumped three times on the floor, then went silent.

"Ah..." Cornelia blinked a few times, unable to process the scene. She even rubbed her eyes a few times, to make sure the unimaginable scene in front of her was real.

"Pft, haha!" Karen burst into laughter, inviting her teammates to giggle along. "Nice serve! 10/10."

"Grrr..." Cornelia's fists trembled. Her face turned so red she looked like a tomato.

"I keep telling you, girl. Your aim is dogshit, haha!" Karen laughed. "You only make a clown outta yourself when you make all these big declarations."

"T-T-Tis' was but just me being merciful on you. Y-Yeah!"

"Pft, seriously?"

"Y-Yes, such is the truth!" Cornelia lifted her chin in confidence yet shifted her eyes away. "Truth be told, I've started feeling sorry for you lot as you have proven yourself utterly incompetent at receiving my magnificent shots. As such, I deemed it too cruel to continue torturing you like this."

Karen rolled her eyes. "Wow, how very kind of you, your highness."

"Indeed, my noble kindness knows no bounds! I even spare some of it for commoners such as you."

"Yeah, right. Just admit that your aim is doodoo."

"Hmph! My aim is as flawless as my nobility!"

"Very convincing story." Karen shrugged.

It was clear as day that Cornelia simply made her usual blunder, yet she went to unbelievable lengths to deny it. The girl was mental.

Nonetheless, out of courtesy, Fiona decided to entertain Cornelia's delusion.

"I thank you for your display of mercy," Fiona said as she picked up the ball. "However, I must warn you in advance that I will not be able to extend the same mercy toward your team during my turn. I hope you understand."